Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flavor/Aroma hops - adjust for AA% or no?  (Read 4236 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Flavor/Aroma hops - adjust for AA% or no?
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:33:50 am »
Up to this point when I've been combining flavor/aroma hops in a recipe I've generally been working with hops in a similar AA% range (i.e., all high-alpha US hops for example). If you're working with two hops with a drastically different alpha acid percentage and you're looking strictly for a similar flavor/aroma contribution from each, do you need to adjust for AA% or would you simply use the same amount by weight?

For example, if I wanted to get an equal flavor/aroma contribution from Columbus at 16% AA and something like Fuggles at 4%, would I want to use 4 times more Fuggles than Columbus in my late/whirlpool/dry hops? Or is the flavor contribution pretty much the same on a per-weight basis?

Obviously, some tasting and recipe-tweaking will likely be involved, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a rule-of-thumb that will get you in the right ballpark to start.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Flavor/Aroma hops - adjust for AA% or no?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:36:27 am »
 I don't adjust for AA since you get little to no IBU from them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:41:15 am »
I think it would depend on how quickly you can chill, and whether or not you're doing an extended hop stand post-boil. If you're chilling within 10min it probably won't matter, but if it takes 20-30min to chill it, that could make a difference.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:53:42 am »
The IBUs from late additions can be high if you put a ton in. You get aroma from dry hopping, not much bitterness.

For flavor and especially aroma, you might look at the essential oil content for the hops.  In your 2 hops listed, Fuggles =0.44 - 0.83% and Columbus =1.5 -2.0%. Citra is alway called intense, well it is at 2.2 - 2.8%, which is pretty high.

I can't tell you what to do, as it is recipe, equipment and process dependent. You can try different amounts for different beers and find out what you like.

http://www.freshops.com/hops/usda-named-hop-variety-descriptions#usda_id_19209
http://www.usahops.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=hop_info&pageID=8
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline krazykrausen

• 1st Kit
    • Ton BrewHouse
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:22:26 am »
AA% doesn't factor in for flavor or aroma. Similar weight is a good way to start, and you'll have to adjust from there

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk
Flavor. Substance. Personality

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:05:14 am »
The IBUs from late additions can be high if you put a ton in. You get aroma from dry hopping, not much bitterness.

For flavor and especially aroma, you might look at the essential oil content for the hops.  In your 2 hops listed, Fuggles =0.44 - 0.83% and Columbus =1.5 -2.0%. Citra is alway called intense, well it is at 2.2 - 2.8%, which is pretty high.

I can't tell you what to do, as it is recipe, equipment and process dependent. You can try different amounts for different beers and find out what you like.

http://www.freshops.com/hops/usda-named-hop-variety-descriptions#usda_id_19209
http://www.usahops.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=hop_info&pageID=8

Ahhh... that sounds like what I was looking for. I'm not too concerned about bitterness since I almost always do a 60-minute addition and would adjust that to hit my target IBU's as I tweak my late adds. I was wondering if AA% typically correlated with flavor/aroma contribution, but the oil content is probably a much better marker for that.
Eric B.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:25:19 am »
There is a correlation between high AA% and high oil levels, but it's not a causal relationship, and there are definitely examples of high oils and low alphas, and vice versa. 
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:05:29 pm »
There is a correlation between high AA% and high oil levels, but it's not a causal relationship, and there are definitely examples of high oils and low alphas, and vice versa.
Yes.

For the OP. Smell your hops, look at the data, make a guess on the finished beer.  Brew it agian with adjustments if you need to dial it in.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 12:30:26 pm »

So if you had to make an educated guess and you had a batch of hops that was at the high end of its AA% range, would it be safe to assume it was likely at the high end of it's essential oil range as well?
Eric B.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:36:26 am »
So if you had to make an educated guess and you had a batch of hops that was at the high end of its AA% range, would it be safe to assume it was likely at the high end of it's essential oil range as well?

Not really. A better assumption would be that "newer" varieties generally have a higher oil content than older and more established varieties. But even better would be to just go here to http://www.usahops.org/userfiles/file/HGA%20BCI%20Reports/HGA%20Variety%20Manual%20-%20English%20(updated%20March%202011).pdf check the oil content of the hop variety you're interested in using.