Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pliny The Elder Brew Day Tomorrow - Yeast Question  (Read 10905 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Pliny The Elder Brew Day Tomorrow - Yeast Question
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 07:41:24 pm »
IIRC, you can make and pitch a started in as little as 18 hours, according to "Yeast" by White and Zainasheff.  "Most starters ... reach their maximum cell density within 12 to 18 hours.Low iunnoculation rates and low temps can extend that time out to 36 hours or more, but the bulk of the growth will be complete within 24 hours."  Make it now, pitch in 24 hours.

That doesn't give you time to decant the spent wort, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Pliny The Elder Brew Day Tomorrow - Yeast Question
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 10:14:01 pm »
IIRC, you can make and pitch a started in as little as 18 hours, according to "Yeast" by White and Zainasheff.  "Most starters ... reach their maximum cell density within 12 to 18 hours.Low iunnoculation rates and low temps can extend that time out to 36 hours or more, but the bulk of the growth will be complete within 24 hours."  Make it now, pitch in 24 hours.

That doesn't give you time to decant the spent wort, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
True, but you could just pitch the whole thing. (Pause for the purists to gasp in dismay) Plain DME with no hops doesn't really add a whole lot of flavor change...Something to do in a pinch. I would wait a day or two and brew when the starter is ready...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline greyghost

• 1st Kit
Re: Pliny The Elder Brew Day Tomorrow - Yeast Question
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 12:16:27 am »
I just transferred one to my secondary. OG 1.086  1.015 in to the secondary that makes a ABV  9.45. It was in the primary 16 days. Used 2 packs of rehydrated US-05. It tastes pretty good and it's not even dry hopped yet.