Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Our club is starting to mature  (Read 12034 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Our club is starting to mature
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:15:24 am »
For the past 3+ years, there's just been a few of us at meetings   5-6 most times.  So we would just BS and drink homebrew for a couple hours......  We rotated from house to house.

Now we have LHBS that opened up in our town, (previously had to drive 75 miles) and the owner allows us to have our meetings there on Sundays, when he is not open for business.  Well, the first month we had 15 our so folks, and this month there were well over 20. 

It's almost like we a "real" club now.  LOL. 

We do have "officers" or such, and the three of us kind of run things.  Our agenda is basically:

1. Club news
2. Education session
3. RDWHAHB

Just looking for advice on things.  Managing the membership list, is our agenda "normal," We really don't want to collect dues, but is there a point where it becomes necessary, and why?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Our club is starting to mature
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:21:53 am »
Having a successful homebrew club is a real asset.  Glad to hear the membership is growing.  Do you have plans for a Big Brew this weekend?
Ron Price

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:31:33 am »
This is completely based off of what I have seen in my homebrew club, so it may or may not apply to you.

Our club has dues, but they are small, just 20$ per year. This is what our dues go to.

Food/Cups for the meeting
Food and Materials for club brews
Name tags for members (You would be surprised how important this is)
6 tap Jockey Box

This year, some of our dues went to renting a 4 tap jockey box for NHC, so we can have 10 taps.

I also think that the dues are a small way to filter out people who are just coming for beer.

That is my 2cents.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:35:29 am »
Having a successful homebrew club is a real asset.  Glad to hear the membership is growing.  Do you have plans for a Big Brew this weekend?

Sadly, no.  Me and the other "leader" are both comitted with other things on Saturday.  But, I did brew two, ten gallon batches yesterday.  Search for my name on facebook for pic of the fermenting chamber. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:04:55 am »

Sadly, no.  Me and the other "leader" are both comitted with other things on Saturday.  But, I did brew two, ten gallon batches yesterday.  Search for my name on facebook for pic of the fermenting chamber.

Okay...I'll look for your Facebook pic.  At least you have some beer in the pipeline.
Ron Price

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 09:24:10 am »
This is completely based off of what I have seen in my homebrew club, so it may or may not apply to you.

Our club has dues, but they are small, just 20$ per year. This is what our dues go to.

Food/Cups for the meeting
Food and Materials for club brews
Name tags for members (You would be surprised how important this is)
6 tap Jockey Box

This year, some of our dues went to renting a 4 tap jockey box for NHC, so we can have 10 taps.

I also think that the dues are a small way to filter out people who are just coming for beer.

That is my 2cents.

+1  Collecting dues got rid of a bunch of slugs who frequented the meeting and gave more "ownership" to those who really wanted a useful organization. Dues also cover our monthly commercial styles purchase as we taste our way through the BJCP style guide - 2 style examples per meeting.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:51:41 am »
I find meeting in commercial space helps bring in new members. People can be reluctant to show up at somebody's house.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 10:59:43 am »
I find meeting in commercial space helps bring in new members. People can be reluctant to show up at somebody's house.

We found this to be true as well.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 04:30:47 pm »
micsager, how have things progressed?  I am interested because my club's meetings are exactly how you described yours minus the educational session.  I have been trumpeting to become more organized with some education tossed into meetings but I have been getting resistance from most.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:47:56 am »
micsager, how have things progressed?  I am interested because my club's meetings are exactly how you described yours minus the educational session.  I have been trumpeting to become more organized with some education tossed into meetings but I have been getting resistance from most.

We're doing pretty good.  We had our July meeting yesterday, and while we only had 8 or so folks, it was a great time, with all sharing some of their homebrew.  One guy mad a Rye IPA, that rivaled Denny's.  I wish I still had a bottle so we could have done a side by side tasting.     

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 10:04:48 am »
One guy mad a Rye IPA, that rivaled Denny's.  I wish I still had a bottle so we could have done a side by side tasting.     

Heresy!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:12:39 am »
One guy mad a Rye IPA, that rivaled Denny's.  I wish I still had a bottle so we could have done a side by side tasting.     

Heresy!  ;)

LOL-

I hope you got a couple cases of that stashed away.  Good stuff for sure.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 10:14:20 am »

Heresy!  ;)

LOL-

I hope you got a couple cases of that stashed away.  Good stuff for sure.

I ended up with a few bottles (gave a lot away) and a corny.  It won't last long!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell