Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how long is too long for FWH?  (Read 3222 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
how long is too long for FWH?
« on: May 10, 2012, 07:15:10 am »
Sometimes I need to take a break during a brew day, so I get the situation where I might have tossed the first wort hops into my kettles around 10 am, then sparged on top of that to hit my preboil volume, then I leave that sitting for maybe 2-3 hours, and only get around to firing up the boil around 12:30 or 1pm. Is that too long?  I've done it a couple times before and the beers have been fine, but just wondering what the accepted best practice is.

-red

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: how long is too long for FWH?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:23:49 am »
Shouldn't hurt anything...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 07:33:27 am »
+1

As long as they weren't boiled (isomerized) while sitting. They'll be good to go.
Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:59:19 am »
No personal experience with FWH that long, but I agree with the other guys.  I don't think it will be a problem.  Might even be a good idea!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:31:39 am »
When you FWH do you remove the hops prier to boil?

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:02:46 am »
When you FWH do you remove the hops prier to boil?

Nope.  You leave them in all the way through.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 10:31:06 am »
FWH helps to solublize the aromatic hop oils.  More hop oils remain in your beer.

If you added your normal late-addition hops (low AA, yet desirable aromatic oils) as your FWH addition, you should be fine, even with a long steep.  It may even be more "efficient" from a hop oil solubilization standpoint.  Giving the oils time to sit around in the warm wort gives the volatile, yet normally insoluble, oils and resins time to oxidize into more soluble compounds that can be retained in the boil.  Otherwise, the boiling process (and fermentation process) will drive off the volatile oil compounds.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 01:46:50 pm »
+1

As long as they weren't boiled (isomerized) while sitting. They'll be good to go.

No boiling, just sitting in warm wort... so I should be fine.....

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 01:51:30 pm »
FWH helps to solublize the aromatic hop oils.  More hop oils remain in your beer.

If you added your normal late-addition hops (low AA, yet desirable aromatic oils) as your FWH addition, you should be fine, even with a long steep.  It may even be more "efficient" from a hop oil solubilization standpoint.  Giving the oils time to sit around in the warm wort gives the volatile, yet normally insoluble, oils and resins time to oxidize into more soluble compounds that can be retained in the boil.  Otherwise, the boiling process (and fermentation process) will drive off the volatile oil compounds.

I'm not sure what the chemical reactions are, but I agree that there probably is some sort of binding reaction or conversion of those volatile components into less volatile components that resist boil-off.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks