Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: On my Brown Malt experience  (Read 8388 times)

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
On my Brown Malt experience
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:58:44 pm »
I came a across a sack of Simpson's Brown Malt (it was free).  I decided to add 12oz to my "west coast red" recipe (5 gallon batch) and much to my chagrin the result is a very hoppy brown ale.  It adds a burnt toast character to the beer and I learned my lesson - only use Brown Malt in English Browns and Bitters and in smaller quantities.   

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: On my Brown Malt experience
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:37:05 am »
It adds a burnt toast character to the beer and I learned my lesson - only use Brown Malt in English Browns and Bitters and in smaller quantities.

Add Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter to your list.  Uses 1.5# Brown Malt per batch
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:48:04 am »
It seems there is variation in brown malt between maltsters.  Some (Crisp, IIRC) use the terms brown malt and amber malt interchangeably for 35L malt.  Others (Fawcett, IIRC) call 70L malt brown malt.  My recipe calls for the 70L stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDt
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:59:41 am »
I also believe its Briess..I could be wrong, but I've also seen Cara-Brown malt and it comes in at 55-65L
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 07:39:08 am »
Well hey... now its "West Coast Brown".

Do you like it in a hoppy brown ale? I've been looking for some malt tweaks to my IBA - tried mild malt, but I wasn't thrilled with it in the recipe.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »
Personally, I hate it when "toasty-biscuit" meets hoppy. I don't like hoppy brown-malt rich brown ales or biscuity IPA's or anything like that. I like brown malt in a malt-forward or roasty beer, but I don't care for it (or biscuit malt, special roast, victory malt, or Vienna Malt, for that matter) in hoppy beer.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:10:20 pm »
Personally, I hate it when "toasty-biscuit" meets hoppy. I don't like hoppy brown-malt rich brown ales or biscuity IPA's or anything like that. I like brown malt in a malt-forward or roasty beer, but I don't care for it (or biscuit malt, special roast, victory malt, or Vienna Malt, for that matter) in hoppy beer.

What do you think of DFH India Brown Ale?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:23:40 pm »
It is fascinating.  I used S-05 and I think the neutral Chico yeast makes for a sharper, burnt (almost acrid) taste.  I am speculating that the fruitier English yeast rounds out the Brown Malt flavor.  I am going to cellar the keg and let the hop bitterness mellow out. 

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 11:07:06 pm »
What do you think of DFH India Brown Ale?

It's been so long since I tried that beer that I couldn't tell you whether or not I liked it.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 11:12:18 am »
That's what I was going for with mine. Great beer (and we dont get DFH in Indiana)
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:57:11 am »
It is fascinating.  I used S-05 and I think the neutral Chico yeast makes for a sharper, burnt (almost acrid) taste.  I am speculating that the fruitier English yeast rounds out the Brown Malt flavor.  I am going to cellar the keg and let the hop bitterness mellow out.

Big fan of it with WLP013 London Ale.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.