Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Six hours in Heathrow: Go local or hit the tube?  (Read 10551 times)

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
Six hours in Heathrow: Go local or hit the tube?
« on: May 01, 2012, 08:11:36 am »
This summer en route to Berlin, I have a SIX HOUR layover at Heathrow.

Not sure of current security, but I think I can skip out of the airport, hit the underground, enjoy a couple pints, and make my connection.

Three options to use this time enjoyably:

a) Airport pubs - can't find current beer menus, but looks like Fuller's LP and Adnams have been on hand pulls there in the past. Which pubs are best?

b) Find a classic traditional English pub (w/ Adnams a bonus) not too far from a tube stop direct from Heathrow. This would be awesome - but which ones? Could easily waste precious time on the search....

c) Hit this CAMRA beer fest, which just happens to be opening up 30 min before my plane lands. That would be cool - but it seems to feature some of the more nontraditional, nonmajor choices of England - whereas I wouldn't mind simply enjoying Fuller's ESB and Adnams and any other classics, for the taste bud resetting.

http://www.ealingbeerfestival.org.uk/

Thanks for any tips!

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
Re: Six hours in Heathrow: Go local or hit the tube?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:14:33 am »
I would do all three!
Scott B

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:19:17 am »
I like the voice of reason!

My biggest concern is after pint three just sayin' to myself... ahh jeez... in Berlin... the beer is sour... let's just stay here!

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:26:17 am »
My biggest concern is after pint three just sayin' to myself... ahh jeez... in Berlin... the beer is sour... let's just stay here!
Would that be so bad?
Scott B

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:43:28 am »
You will have to look around for a Berliner Weisse, it was mainly Pils when I was there.

In London look into the walk along the Thames between the Fullers Brewery tap in Chiswick and and the Dove in Hammersmith.  Several other decent pub on the river.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:13:55 am »
Yes, that was my experience four years ago too - just as easy to find a glass of Kölsch (and even hefeweizen if I remember right) thanks to the Ständige Vertretung...

but a weak mind getting weaker due to imbibing and jet lag can not be trusted....

thanks for the tip Jeff - am sorely tempted to go whole hog and hit those places.

And the AABG. Gotta join that when I get back this fall. Nice to have a true LHBS now....

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 01:01:07 pm »
Find a current copy of CAMRA's Good Beer Guide and locate a recommended real ale pub near the airport.  It lists the type of pub, what sort of beer they have and it is updated annually.  My wife and I have used it on extensive trips through Great Britain and find it very accurate.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 02:31:53 pm »
Go local.  The tube to London takes over an hour.  The Heathrow Express to Paddington take 15 mins, and runs every 15 mins, but costs over $50.  Try this link for starters.

http://www.milesfaster.co.uk/information/heathrow-airport/heathrow-pubs-bars.htm

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:13:00 am »
The London transport site says 47 min to Picadilly and 56 to King's X by tube, and 25 min to Paddington by Heathrow Connect for just 8.5 pounds, so parts of London seem doable if I know where I'm going, and if security goes ok, and if those stats can be trusted. Big ifs, at the moment.

Good link Ross, thanks I hadn't seen that one yet. Lots of good info for beer-drinking travelers there. I had read opiniated reviews elsewhere for some of the pubs listed near Heathrow ("beer by evening" or something like that).

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 01:40:53 pm »
6 hours is a bit of a stretch to race into London for a few pints and make it back.  This is Olympic summer and things will be running more towards capacity even outside of the Olympics. You never know if the tube will be closed for maintenance or if you will need to find a secondary plan. I say keep it easy because one thing that can happen in London (or any major city) is the unexpected.  Also, Heathrow customs is running up to an hour and a half just to get through the process so you probably should knock 1.5 hours off your schedule (check BBC).

Just my two cents but I have lived here for 6 years now and the run up to the Olympics is affecting a lot of things.

If it is that big of check to get on your to to list then keep it nearby.  There is always some type of real ale pub nearby.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 06:16:47 pm »
Play it safe and stay in the airport.  You're gonna be exhausted and the possibility of missing your flight are too great.  You may have one beer too many and not be allowed on the plane.  That could also happen in the airport but in the airport you aren't rushed and can sip a couple of nice beers instead of looking at the clock and trying to finish "just one more" in time to get back to the airport.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:18:39 pm by corkybstewart »
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline jiggs26.2

• Cellarman
  • Black Hills, South Dakota
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 07:03:58 pm »
Play it safe and stay in the airport.  You're gonna be exhausted and the possibility of missing your flight are too great.  You may have one beer too many and not be allowed on the plane.  That could also happen in the airport but in the airport you aren't rushed and can sip a couple of nice beers instead of looking at the clock and trying to finish "just one more" in time to get back to the airport.
+1
I have been there a couple of times and getting through security was hit and miss, play it safe.  Maybe you could see about staying the night there and flying out the next day I would suggest if you have the chance to check out the city take it.  I loved it there.
AHA Lifetime Member

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottle/Keg: Holiday Chocolate Stout, Nelson Sauvin IPA, Brew Dog Punk IPA Clone, Apricot Pale Ale, Wizenbock

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 06:23:00 am »
the bitter reality...

is that i may have to get my bitters in Heathrow!

Well, that's better than nothing, and at least maybe I can get a grand tour of the terminal pubs and update this thread w/ info.

Thanks for all the voices of reason. I haven't been in London for 15 years, before I started home brewing, and before I became quite enamored with Fuller's ESB and others, so it is so tempting to push the limits.

I'll keep doing some research, but with the thought that a quick escape is possible only with an early arrival and smooth security. I agree, I'll be wrecked from the flight. I see that Heathrow is going through a bit of public commotion regarding security delays and the impending olympic crush.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 06:55:24 am »
Good Beer Guide says to try Barley Mow in Shepperton, rated CAMRA Pub of the Year 2011 (Local) - address is 67 Watersplash Road, Shpperton TW17 0EE, phone is 019 322 253 26
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 07:20:13 am »
Thanks Phillamb - great reference! I could go there for the experience, and get back to Heathrow in time for some of the big name ales.

I'd buy that book - but for what may be one pint or two if I'm lucky, it seems kinda pointless. Maybe in a couple years when my kid is older, I can make a propah trip to the UK.