Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Six hours in Heathrow: Go local or hit the tube?  (Read 10550 times)

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
Re: Six hours in Heathrow: Go local or hit the tube?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 07:28:44 am »
I wouldn't mind a a grand tour of the Heathrow terminal pubs.  Sure, it's not like pub crawling in London, but it's better than a lot of things.   ;D
Scott B

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 09:07:34 am »
I wouldn't mind a a grand tour of the Heathrow terminal pubs.  Sure, it's not like pub crawling in London, but it's better than a lot of things.   ;D

We were JET. LAGGED. when we came in to France for the very first time, via Heathrow, but we (even at 8am!) stopped in to have a Full English at one of the pub/restaurants in terminal 5. The barkeep was nice enough to pour me what I believe was a fullers on hand pump. The food was good, the beer was cheap, and it was a great way to wake up.

The only problem after that, though, was that the waiting area for our AF connection was in terminal 0.0002 (is joke!), which had NO bathrooms... So that was a looooong wait.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 02:23:47 am »
Do you have a smartphone? There's both an iphone and Android version of the Good Beer Guide for something like 6 bucks. No need to haul the heavy book around.

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 04:43:42 pm »
The day has come and gone. A pub in terminal 5 (Wetherspoon's Crown Rivers, I think) has rotating hand pull selections and I got lucky: London pride, Fuller's ESB, and Adnam's all there! Three of the four I had wanted (TT Landlord being the other). Everybody seemed to be drinking Adnam's. It was excellent, and I could have drunk it all day with the right friends. The LP was pretty good;  a classic english bitter taste, but not as interesting as the adnam's. The esb was a let down. Considering this is a favorite beer of mine in bottle, I  expected much much more. Maybe it was just getting old. Hard to tell from a sample size of one.

So the local experts were right, six hours proved to be dangerously close to get into London, largely due to the fact I would've actually only had 4.5 hours once I got through immigration. Plane was on time; but I was in just about the last row, we had to wait to get on buses to transport us to the terminal, and the queue for immigration was enormous by the time I got there.

On the return trip, I stopped in and the three ales listed above were gone and replaced with ciders. Good I'm sure, but not my preference, so fortune smiled on me that day.

In Berlin I stopped in to the Standige and had some Gaffel Kolsch. It was decent and drinkable, but I could easily imagine that other Kolsch brands in Koln are better. Will have to find out some day. It was also great to have fresh German wheat beer for a week.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:55:57 pm by seajellie »