Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How does my grist look?  (Read 4958 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
How does my grist look?
« on: May 01, 2012, 01:19:17 pm »
I've been taking more care to condition my malt lately. I run it through the mill twice, once at 1.5mm (0.060") and the second time at 0.5mm (0.020"). What do you think?

In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: How does my grist look?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:21:27 pm »
Looks better than mine, and I am getting 95-100% conversion efficiency according to Kai's chart.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
How does my grist look?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:05:30 pm »
Looks a lot like mine after one pass through my JSP MaltMill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:38:04 pm »
Denny- Do you think it's my mill, or operator error?

When I was dry-crushing the grain, I was getting lots of shredded husks. Conditioning helped, but I was still getting a fair amount of broken husks. Conditioning + double grind gives me mostly intact husks.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
How does my grist look?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:57:11 pm »

When I was dry-crushing the grain, I was getting lots of shredded husks. Conditioning helped, but I was still getting a fair amount of broken husks. Conditioning + double grind gives me mostly intact husks.

Frankly, I don't worry much about shredded husks.  If that crush works for you, it's the right crush.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:16:13 pm »

Frankly, I don't worry much about shredded husks.  If that crush works for you, it's the right crush.

I don't really get the concern about shredded husk.  How is one supposed to release the germ without shredding a little husk?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:28:28 pm »
The husks in your crush look to be fairly in tack.  It looks good to me.

My understanding about shredding the husks too much is that it can cause problems in your mash by not setting up a good filter bed or a stuck mash.  And the small pieces can cause more tannin extraction.  I've never seen the tannin thing myself but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  I have had some serious stuck mashes over the years.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
How does my grist look?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 03:38:17 pm »
The husks in your crush look to be fairly in tack.  It looks good to me.

My understanding about shredding the husks too much is that it can cause problems in your mash by not setting up a good filter bed or a stuck mash.  And the small pieces can cause more tannin extraction.  I've never seen the tannin thing myself but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  I have had some serious stuck mashes over the years.

Paul

419 batches, 0 stuck runoffs.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »
i have run small amounts of grain through my vita mix to a flour and have not had a problem.  of course i brew small amounts and i mash in a bag and still get pretty clear wort.
Don AHA member

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:49:22 pm »

Why the extra work?
Were you having trouble with stuck sparges, or astringent flavor?
I condition & grind once, through a Barley Crusher set to .024".
I don't have either problem.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 04:04:52 pm »
That's a much finer grist than I get.  Maybe I should adjust my mill.   But, like Denny says, I get good results, so why change?  (well, he didn't say I DO get good results, just "why change") 

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 04:24:51 pm »
Years ago I had a run of 7 or 8 astringent batches. I was doing BIAB. I had switched to a paint strainer bag  which was much coarser than the cheesecloth bags I had been using. I was shredding my husks pretty badly. I was squeezing the bag like it owed me money. I was ending up with a lot of husk material in the BK. I was basically doing everything wrong, except my mash pH and sparge water temp, which were in the right range.

Because of that, I'm concerned about shredded husks. Too concerned? Probably. It takes maybe three minutes or so to reset my mill's gap and run the grist through again. So in the course of a brewday, it's hardly any additional work. Necessary? Probably not, since it sounds like it's a lot more fussing than you guys do.

Having mostly intact husks does lauter much better, and I haven't needed rice hulls when using a lot of wheat. I get a lot of flour because of the fine crush, but the husks set the grain bed up pretty well.

So, I dunno. I guess I just wanted to see if this was a "typical" crush or not. 

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:33:28 pm »
Your crush looks good, but I think double crushing at 2 different settings is unnecessary and overdoing it.  But I'm not really one to talk, I can't seem to figure out why my efficiency is around 72% at a .0035" mill setting with proper water adjustments.  It's a mystery, but at least it's consistent.
My crush looks kinda like that.  I was conditioning for a while, then decided that it's not really worth it for me.
Jesse

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 02:31:30 am »
I run extra hard stuff like malted rye or wheat through my mill twice put that is about it. I am going to brew with malted spelt in a couple months so that will probably go through twice as well.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 06:40:38 am »
RE: double crush - I was trying to simulate a 3-roller mill. The first pass at 1.5mm just kinda squishes it, then the second pass at 0.5mm does the milling. It's going through the mill a total of 2 times, I'm not double-crushing at both settings.

I might be able to get it down to one pass. I haven't tried doing single grinds since I've been conditioning the malt better, so maybe that will be the ticket.