Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How does my grist look?  (Read 4966 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: How does my grist look?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 09:27:55 am »
Are you using a drill or hand cranking?  Since I hand crank my barley crusher, I'd NOT want to run it through twice, too much work.  You must have a quicker adjusting mill also.  Either way, whatever works for you...
Jesse

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 09:44:34 am »
Are you using a drill or hand cranking?  Since I hand crank my barley crusher, I'd NOT want to run it through twice, too much work.  You must have a quicker adjusting mill also.  Either way, whatever works for you...

I have a Monster Mill with a drill. It adjusts pretty easily. I try to question the way I do things, and do them more simply when appropriate. It works for me, but the reason for this thread was to get some feedback and maybe come up with a better way.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 10:25:05 am »
I have a Monster Mill with a drill. It adjusts pretty easily. I try to question the way I do things, and do them more simply when appropriate. It works for me, but the reason for this thread was to get some feedback and maybe come up with a better way.

Monster Mill (original two roller) here also.  I see pretty much no efficiency difference between all barley batches and batches with 60%/40% wheat/barley.  I only run through once and the gap is set to .035.
Joe

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 10:36:04 am »
I haven't checked my mill gap lately but when I set it up it was .029".  I typically only run the grain through once and get a fair amount of flour.  The husks are intact (for the most part) with or without conditioning my grain.  My efficiency stays pretty constant.

I have had a stuck sparge or two but I only recall them happening when I cranked the mill down to .025".  that was just a bit too tight.  I have more issues with rye malt than with wheat but that's a slow sparge, not a stuck sparge.  I cause most of my own sparging problems.

Cleaning out the gutters last Saturday I thought about kilning the maple tree seeds.  They had already sprouted.  I'm not sure I could ever get that flavor out of my mill though and my wife was quite opposed to the idea.   8)

As was said earlier, do what works for you.  There are many paths to the same destination.   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?