Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My homebrew smells like vomit  (Read 27958 times)

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
Re: My homebrew smells like vomit
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 03:22:19 am »
Don't get me wrong - I don't discourage anyone from performing any experiment where something useful could be learned. But for me, I'd much rather dump a batch than pitch some Brett and wait for a year or two to see if it gets better.

My reasoning is more that instead of dumping a batch, I might as well use it for further experimenting. Whether it will "get better" is less important to me than gaining more experience regarding the intricacies of Brett metabolism.

But I hear you: if a batch goes bad, dump it. If by "bad" you mean "good for nothing besides dumping" ;)
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 06:41:21 am »
But I hear you: if a batch goes bad, dump it. If by "bad" you mean "good for nothing besides dumping" ;)
I guess it just boils down to whether you consider a vomit beer bad or not  ;)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 06:43:12 am »
I've heard of poopy coffee that is highly sought after and super expensive so he might be on to something.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 06:47:05 pm »
Since my initial post, I won first prize in Spooky Brew for worse beer.  I won a can of old malt with bulging ends.

I did add Brett to my vomit beer.  For a while there was a great pineapple odor, but now it smells and tastes of parmesan cheese. When I need the carboy, I'll dump it.

Offline danielpeng

• 1st Kit
  • I am Daniel Peng from Irvine CA
    • D-Biotin
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 02:24:13 am »
Oops, Hope you can have luck next time.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2015, 02:20:28 am »
I did add Brett to my vomit beer.  For a while there was a great pineapple odor, but now it smells and tastes of parmesan cheese.

Yes, I passed the Parmsesan phase too. Only smelled of it, though.
The funny thing about my Pukey Gose is that it never tasted bad (or, honesty compels me to add, "as bad as it smelled"). In fact, even at its worst time (after 48 hours of souring the wort, when it started going slightly thick and gloopy and very butyric, the taste was quite rich and malty, with a slight tang. Butyric acid seems to have a higher sensory threshold where taste/flavour comes in that when it comes to smell.

This little Cellar Dwellar freak project has been immensely fascinating so far, and while I'm sure the resulting beer will not be likely to ever become anyone's favourite, it'll be interesting to say the least.

Also: since ptiching the Brett, the beer has cleared, going from the typical wheat haze to being almost crystal clear now. To me, this suggests that Brett can somehow metabolise wheat proteins as well as all those other things it's renowned for, such as  Sacch's autolysis debris and (du-UH-huh) organic acids. Anyone know anything about this? I'd be very interested in any reading material regarding Sacch & Brett's particular metabolic pathways, but can't seem to find anything readily available.

All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2015, 08:41:21 am »
Also: since ptiching the Brett, the beer has cleared, going from the typical wheat haze to being almost crystal clear now. To me, this suggests that Brett can somehow metabolise wheat proteins as well as all those other things it's renowned for, such as  Sacch's autolysis debris and (du-UH-huh) organic acids. Anyone know anything about this? I'd be very interested in any reading material regarding Sacch & Brett's particular metabolic pathways, but can't seem to find anything readily available.

I believe brett is incapable of fermenting proteins and the clarity you are seeing is the result of time dropping the beer clear. CY talks about brett and proteins in the BN podcast linked earlier in the thread.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2015, 08:58:26 am »
Hmmm... back in the day, I have had vomit that smelled like beer.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2015, 11:53:26 am »
I believe brett is incapable of fermenting proteins and the clarity you are seeing is the result of time dropping the beer clear.

Would a wheat beer drop clear at all given enough time? First time I heard about that happening **puzzled**

All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 12:28:43 pm »
I believe brett is incapable of fermenting proteins and the clarity you are seeing is the result of time dropping the beer clear.

Would a wheat beer drop clear at all given enough time? First time I heard about that happening **puzzled**

Many hefe breweries ship their kegs upside down so when they reach their destination they are turned upright to get everything back into suspension. The only haze that I know of that won't eventually clear on its own is a starch haze. And that is something Brett may be of use with.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2015, 12:37:05 pm »

I never have good luck keeping my wheat beers cloudy. At some point I am going to give the tablespoon of flour trick a try.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2015, 12:42:03 pm »
When my hefe or wit beers start pouring clearer than I like, I close the gas valve, take out the keg and gently tip it horizontal a few times to bring the yeast back up into suspension. Works.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2015, 12:45:16 pm »
When my hefe or wit beers start pouring clearer than I like, I close the gas valve, take out the keg and gently tip it horizontal a few times to bring the yeast back up into suspension. Works.
True, but then the first few pours are chunky since the flocked yeast doesn't bust apart all the way. First world problems I guess. Now onto recharging my roomba. :)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2015, 12:49:23 pm »
True, but then the first few pours are chunky since the flocked yeast doesn't bust apart all the way. First world problems I guess. Now onto recharging my roomba. :)

I rock it several times and it gets distributed fairly evenly (3068 and 3944). Usually, kegs of that are gone quickly enough it's not much of a problem anyway (usually have them for hot summer days).
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »

I rock it several times and it gets distributed fairly evenly (3068 and 3944). Usually, kegs of that are gone quickly enough it's not much of a problem anyway (usually have them for hot summer days).
Maybe I didn't hit several times. I don't have one scheduled for a while, but I will give it another try before I "cheat." I used to bottle wheat beers every batch, but bottling small beers doesn't interest me these days.