Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pliny The Elder Brew Day Tomorrow - Yeast Question  (Read 10904 times)

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
Pliny The Elder Brew Day Tomorrow - Yeast Question
« on: May 02, 2012, 02:34:16 pm »
Hey Guys,

I am brewing the MoreBeer! Pliny the elder extract clone tomorrow.  Very excited to give this beer a try!  When I ordered it I forgot to get two packs of Wyeast American II yeast.  I don't have the means to make a starter at this point.  I do have an extra Safale US-05 that I could use along with the Wyeast or should I just use the Wyeast?  I will be keeping this in my primary fermenter for 2 weeks and then transferring it to the secondary for dry hopping.  If I use the two yeast packs do I have to worry about blowing the lid off my fermenter?  I could just make a blowoff tube with my siphon tube.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Primary: Hoppy Red Ale
Primary II: Hoppit IIPA
Secondary: DFH 90 Minute Clone
Bottled: Summer Wheat IPA, Pliny the Elder, Brown Bear IIBA, Sunny Sierra Blonde Ale
On Deck: Barkeater Brown Ale
Finished: Columbus IPA (Drank) Irish Red Ale (Drank) Gnaria IIPA (First Recipe), Citra IPA(Drank), GRK Ale (Drank)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Pliny The Elder Brew Day Tomorrow - Yeast Question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 02:43:21 pm »
I do have an extra Safale US-05 that I could use along with the Wyeast or should I just use the Wyeast? 

One Wyeast pack definitely won't be enough
Joe

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 02:49:30 pm »
I don't have the means to make a starter at this point.  I do have an extra Safale US-05 that I could use along with the Wyeast or should I just use the Wyeast? 

There really is not a lot of equipment required to make a starter. I use a half gallon growler and a bit of DME. I use about 5oz of dme in 3.5 cups of water. bring it to a boil for 5-10 minutes, cool, add to growler, pitch yeast and cover with foil. Shake it whenever I remember.

Whats the OG for the kit?

One Wyeast pack definitely won't be enough
+1

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 02:54:33 pm »
The OG is 1.070 - 1.074.  I will see if there is something I can do a starter in but I just filled my growler today haha.  Would pitching the Safale and Wyeast together work well? I also don't have any extra DME or LME for a starter...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:56:58 pm by cwilly006 »
Bottled: Summer Wheat IPA, Pliny the Elder, Brown Bear IIBA, Sunny Sierra Blonde Ale
Finished: Columbus IPA (Drank) Irish Red Ale (Drank) Gnaria IIPA (First Recipe), Citra IPA(Drank), GRK Ale (Drank)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 02:59:03 pm »
Hey Guys,

I am brewing the MoreBeer! Pliny the elder extract clone tomorrow.  Very excited to give this beer a try!  When I ordered it I forgot to get two packs of Wyeast American II yeast.  I don't have the means to make a starter at this point.  I do have an extra Safale US-05 that I could use along with the Wyeast or should I just use the Wyeast?  I will be keeping this in my primary fermenter for 2 weeks and then transferring it to the secondary for dry hopping.  If I use the two yeast packs do I have to worry about blowing the lid off my fermenter?  I could just make a blowoff tube with my siphon tube.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

I agree, make a starter if you can.  Yet, I've heard from several people that US-05 and Wyeast 1056 are the same strain, so maybe you could just pitch both and be OK.  You may want to check w/ a yeast calculator like http://www.mrmalty.com/.  I've never done this before, so I couldn't tell you exactly how it would turn out.

As for transferring to a secondary to dry hop, you can skip this step.  Just throw your dry hops into your primary.  I dry hop my pale ales and IPAs in my primary all the time and they come out great.  I usually go 2-3 weeks then dry hop for 5-7 days and keg after that.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 03:03:20 pm »
Hey Guys,

Thanks!

I agree, make a starter if you can.  Yet, I've heard from several people that US-05 and Wyeast 1056 are the same strain, so maybe you could just pitch both and be OK.  You may want to check w/ a yeast calculator like http://www.mrmalty.com/.  I've never done this before, so I couldn't tell you exactly how it would turn out.

As for transferring to a secondary to dry hop, you can skip this step.  Just throw your dry hops into your primary.  I dry hop my pale ales and IPAs in my primary all the time and they come out great.  I usually go 2-3 weeks then dry hop for 5-7 days and keg after that.

Yea I have read that they are the same strain as well so that is why I was wondering if it would be OK.  I will give it a try and see what happens.  Next order I make (No LHBS) I will make sure I get the necessary equipment for a starter.  The main reason I will be switching to secondary is to free up my primary fermentation bucket for my next beer (Summer Wheat IPA).  Thanks for the help guys!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 03:27:01 pm »
The only issue I see is that WY1272 is not WY1056, so not the same strain as US-05, I think it might work out, but I don't know enough about yeast to be sure.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 03:40:54 pm »
Hey Guys,

Thanks!

Yea I have read that they are the same strain as well so that is why I was wondering if it would be OK.  I will give it a try and see what happens.  Next order I make (No LHBS) I will make sure I get the necessary equipment for a starter.  The main reason I will be switching to secondary is to free up my primary fermentation bucket for my next beer (Summer Wheat IPA).  Thanks for the help guys!

WY1056 and Us-05 may have come from the same source (and no one knows that for sure) but there are differences in the beer that each produces.  Not to mention that you have 1272, not 1056!  You don't need a growler or flask to make a starter....a glass or plastic gal. jug from milk, apple juice, or wine works fine.  You will need some extract.  You may be able to find a beverage called Malta Goya, which is pretty much like wort, and use that for your starter if you can't get extract.  Worst case, pitch the 1272 and 05....although I've had great luck in beers of that strength with just a pack of 05.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 05:13:28 pm »
I was wondering why folks were talking about 1056...anyway, I would just rehydrate and pitch the Safale.  Save your 1272 for another batch and make a starter.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 06:45:59 pm »
I also have another Safale US-05 coming either Friday or Monday with some ingredients I got for a DFH 90 Minute so I could always add some of that when it gets here.  I would wait for that to come but tomorrow is the best day for me to brew because of work.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Pliny The Elder Brew Day Tomorrow - Yeast Question
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 07:08:41 pm »
I also have another Safale US-05 coming either Friday or Monday with some ingredients I got for a DFH 90 Minute so I could always add some of that when it gets here.  I would wait for that to come but tomorrow is the best day for me to brew because of work.

AFAIAC, if you don't have the yeast ready, you're no more ready to brew than if you don't have malt or hops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 07:11:48 pm »

AFAIAC, if you don't have the yeast ready, you're no more ready to brew than if you don't have malt or hops.

I know it's just difficult when you order everything online and have a little oversight.  Do you suggest not brewing or do you think I will be fine with one US-05?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »

I know it's just difficult when you order everything online and have a little oversight.  Do you suggest not brewing or do you think I will be fine with one US-05?

What is the targeted gravity for the kit?

If it's 1.070, then you will need about 250 billion cells or 14 gms of rehydrated yeast.  Which equates to 1.25 packs of dry yeast. In this case, wait until you get more yeast then brew the beer.
Ron Price

Offline cwilly006

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 07:18:16 pm »
I have found my solution.  I will brew my Summer Wheat IPA http://hopville.com/recipe/1315853/american-ipa-recipes/summertime-wheat-ipa using the Wyeast tomorrow and then I will wait until I get the US-05 and brew the Pliny next week.  (Trying to brew once a week for as long as possible)  Will two packets of the Safale US-05 blow the top off my fermenter?

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 07:25:01 pm »
IIRC, you can make and pitch a started in as little as 18 hours, according to "Yeast" by White and Zainasheff.  "Most starters ... reach their maximum cell density within 12 to 18 hours.Low iunnoculation rates and low temps can extend that time out to 36 hours or more, but the bulk of the growth will be complete within 24 hours."  Make it now, pitch in 24 hours.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.