Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale  (Read 6229 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:34:39 pm »
Probably the best I've ever had. Both from them and others in the "Brown Ale" category. As always it's in balance. Perfumed aroma. Clean malt taste.

Wonderful.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 07:42:23 am »
Probably the best I've ever had. Both from them and others in the "Brown Ale" category. As always it's in balance. Perfumed aroma. Clean malt taste.

Wonderful.

+1

Absolutely. My favorite ABA of all time. I have one quite often when I go to my LHBC meetings at DFH Brewpub and it is fantastic on tap as well. Probably my favorite DFH beer.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:35:33 am »
Probably my favorite DFH beer.

One of the only 2 from them that I like, and I like it a lot.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:18:25 am »
Saw on their website that the IBU 50 on the beer.  How did the bitterness play a role in the taste?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:30:08 am »
Saw on their website that the IBU 50 on the beer.  How did the bitterness play a role in the taste?

It's bitter but very malty. Balanced. It's 50 you say? Wow. Compared to Moose Drool it's slightly more bitter but my jaded palate doesn't shout "hoppy". Decent bitterness that marries perfectly with the sweet dark malts.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:02:16 pm »
I just had this for the first time last weekend and it was excellent. Sometimes DFH seems a bit over the top but i drank 3-4 of them with little problem :) I cant do that with the 60/90 any more than 1 or 2 of those and i'm done for the night.

nice beer, i'll def pick it up again.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 02:20:58 pm »
My favorite brown ale was the Brooklyn Brown until I tried the DFH offering. Great beer, I could probably drink it everyday.
AHA member since '10

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 01:28:51 am »
DFH India Brown Ale is too strong and hoppy to be an example of American Brown Ale according to the BJCP or Brewers Association guidelines. It's what gets called a Strong Brown Ale or Imperial/Double Brown Ale.

And, if there was a BJCP category for it, it would probably be first on the list of commercial examples. It's an excellent beer.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 06:42:45 pm »
A little late but I'll throw my .02 worth in . . I enjoyed DFH Indian Brown so much I made an 11 gallon clone for last year's brew fest . . I still have about 3 gallons left and it is a dead ringer for the real thing . . hmmm think I'll go pull one right now.
Just brew it...

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 02:49:43 pm »
DFH India Brown Ale is too strong and hoppy to be an example of American Brown Ale according to the BJCP or Brewers Association guidelines. It's what gets called a Strong Brown Ale or Imperial/Double Brown Ale.

And, if there was a BJCP category for it, it would probably be first on the list of commercial examples. It's an excellent beer.

For me it wasn't too strong and hoppy.  I got a nice mellow hop out of this one.

OT: Man the BA guidelines are a great source.  Any other guidelines you recommend?

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 07:48:57 pm »
dhacker - care to post your DFH recipe?

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 05:47:47 am »
I agree, it's a stupendous brew.  And I'm not even that fond of browns.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 07:01:19 am »
One of my all-time faves. It's just ridiculously complex on the malt side and there's enough hops to balance it out. IMO, this is the premier example of an Imperial Brown.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 07:39:33 am »
I brewed the recipe out of Sam's Extreme Brewing book, converting the LME or DME to all grain.

The beer wasn't bad, but it didn't taste like the real thing. It wasn't roasty enough.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 09:08:13 am »
dhacker - care to post your DFH recipe?

Please do...

I brewed the recipe out of Sam's Extreme Brewing book, converting the LME or DME to all grain.

The beer wasn't bad, but it didn't taste like the real thing. It wasn't roasty enough.

I did same and agree with that it does not match...