Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stink bugs killing my hops  (Read 2040 times)

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
Stink bugs killing my hops
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:21:51 pm »
Noticed yesterday that one section of hops on one of my plants were starting to turn brown. Seemed a little early for harvest so I though I'd wait another day or so. I checked on them tonight and they were almost totally brown and covered by about a hundred of these little pests. Spayed some bug killer on them which should help, but now I'm wondering if I should take a chance and harvest early to get my hops before they do. I think I'd rather have some less bitter hops than none at all. Also, I don't want to spray bug killer on the whole plant. Probably not something I want in my beer.
I've never had any bugs attack my hops before. It is crazy.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:31:54 pm by thirsty »

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: Stink bugs killing my hops
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 04:10:48 pm »
Look for some powdered bug killer and read the label. Many are safe for fruit and vegetables up to the date of harvest. I have cucumber beetles attacking my Willamette and Northern Brewer hops. It works but washes off easy. Bugs are funny in that you may never have a problem and then all of a sudden your plant is gone. That happened to me last year with my Chinook. Some type of worm ate nearly all the leaves in one day.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
Re: Stink bugs killing my hops
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I found some of that powdered stuff. I just hope I have some plant left by Saturday when I have time to go buy it!