Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Categorizing a Farmhouse Ale  (Read 2498 times)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Categorizing a Farmhouse Ale
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:36:01 pm »
Hello All,
I brewed a beer that was loosely based on the Crooked Stave Farmhouse Ale that was recently featured as the beer of the week.  Instead of using 100% Brett, I used the White Labs American Farmhouse blend, and I used Pacific Jade hops, including 2 oz of dry hops.  Additionally, I used a darker Munich malt that made the beer a dark orange/medium Amber color.  It turned out great, although I hope it gets funkier... It is very fruity right now (papaya).
I would like to enter it into a comp soon, but am struggling on where to put it.  I tasted it against the Saison style guidelines, and I feel it's much too full bodied to do well in that category, and it's pushing the color threshold for the category.  However, the fruity esters and peppery hop character from the Pacific Jade, fit right in with the style.  My other option would be to enter it as a "Dry Hopped Amber Farmhouse" in the Belgian Specialty category... Any Ideas?
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Categorizing a Farmhouse Ale
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:06:49 am »
16E with it!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Re: Categorizing a Farmhouse Ale
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 10:28:40 pm »
Will do. In fact, dry hopping with Pacific Jade made it really peppery, almost like jalepeno. It is interesting.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection