Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No foam a week later. Its still fermenting?  (Read 2304 times)

Offline ignaciog182

• 1st Kit
No foam a week later. Its still fermenting?
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:26:15 am »
Hi guys!
Last week i made my first beer ever, today has passed an exact week.
I traspassed the beer to a secondary fermenter, when i opened the bucket i saw that no foam was in there, all was at the bottom, with the pellets particles also.
This means the fermentation its over?
My OG was around 1060, and now its 1022.
The beer really cloudy.
Should i wait mare for the gravity to go lower?(shoul i add more levs?)
Its the fermentation over and i have to wait till it settle down? How many time?
Should i bottle right now?

As you see i really need help...
Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: No foam a week later. Its still fermenting?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:29:02 am »
It might very well be done, but it couldn't hurt to leave it a few days more to be sure.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:21:43 am »
The best way to know when a beer is done fermenting is to check the gravity. If the gravity hasnt changed over a weeks time then its done.

Also you dont really need to secondary beers! Just keep in the primary for the duration of fermentation, then go straight to your bottling bucket.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 11:26:06 am »
The best way to know when a beer is done fermenting is to check the gravity. If the gravity hasnt changed over a weeks time then its done.

Also you dont really need to secondary beers! Just keep in the primary for the duration of fermentation, then go straight to your bottling bucket.

+1.  Also, 1.060 to 1.022 is only about 63% attenuation.  What type of beer was is and what yeast did you use?  One pack/vial or more?  I would leave it be for a few days and check the gravity again per above.

Dave
Dave Zach