Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch  (Read 11154 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Kolsch
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 01:54:30 pm »
I've got a Kolsch planned for Thursday.  I'm using 100% Pils with Mittlefruh for bittering and flavor.  I'm fermenting with WLP029.  I plan to pitch it at 58F and hold it there for a couple days then ramp up to 60F until terminal gravity. Then lager for a month on the yeast.

Nice!  I used 100% FM BoPils for mine with Mittelfruh as well.  I did add 3/4# of Wheat Malt though and fermented with WY2535.  Fermented at 62F and it's been lagering for a month.  Tapping over Memborial Day weekend and probably will start brewing #2!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 01:59:17 pm »
2 weeks lagering is plenty, jusT sayin'.

Agreed.  ;)

I can hear the Probrewer coming out... :)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 02:01:40 pm »
I've got a Kolsch planned for Thursday.  I'm using 100% Pils with Mittlefruh for bittering and flavor.  I'm fermenting with WLP029.  I plan to pitch it at 58F and hold it there for a couple days then ramp up to 60F until terminal gravity. Then lager for a month on the yeast.

Nice!  I used 100% FM BoPils for mine with Mittelfruh as well.  I did add 3/4# of Wheat Malt though and fermented with WY2535.  Fermented at 62F and it's been lagering for a month.  Tapping over Memborial Day weekend and probably will start brewing #2!

Dave

Sounds good!

I also like WY2535...but my LHBS carries White Labs almost exclusively which is fine by me.  I really like the performance of WLP029.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 03:05:00 pm »

Agreed.  ;)

That's how long I have always layered mine. There's no need to lager it any longer. It's good to go at 2 weeks.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Kolsch
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 06:33:46 pm »

Agreed.  ;)

That's how long I have always layered mine. There's no need to lager it any longer. It's good to go at 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do a side by side tasting of a 4 and 6 week old Kolsch as I am only making one batch.  It certainly wouldn't hurt the beer either way. I typically lager my Kolsch for 4 weeks with very good results and I don't doubt your results as well.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »
well, to my tastes it isn't really any better at four weeks than at two. I just don't see the reason to age the beer for 4 weeks. In fact, 7-10 days is probably enough, as long as it is clear and carbonated. This is one of those beers that tastes best fresh to my tastes.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Kolsch
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 05:19:30 am »
I like to lager this style for 4 weeks at 34F to really clear the beer as well as round out the grainy Pils malt flavor. It's a matter of personal preference. I find it better after a month of lagering. This is my method of choice. It would be an interesting experiment to have some staggered samples of this beer at 2, 4 and 6 weeks old in an effort to distinguish the effects of lagering time.
Ron Price