Author Topic: Kolsch  (Read 7037 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Kolsch
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »
I've got a Kolsch planned for Thursday.  I'm using 100% Pils with Mittlefruh for bittering and flavor.  I'm fermenting with WLP029.  I plan to pitch it at 58F and hold it there for a couple days then ramp up to 60F until terminal gravity. Then lager for a month on the yeast.

Nice!  I used 100% FM BoPils for mine with Mittelfruh as well.  I did add 3/4# of Wheat Malt though and fermented with WY2535.  Fermented at 62F and it's been lagering for a month.  Tapping over Memborial Day weekend and probably will start brewing #2!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »
2 weeks lagering is plenty, jusT sayin'.

Agreed.  ;)

I can hear the Probrewer coming out... :)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »
I've got a Kolsch planned for Thursday.  I'm using 100% Pils with Mittlefruh for bittering and flavor.  I'm fermenting with WLP029.  I plan to pitch it at 58F and hold it there for a couple days then ramp up to 60F until terminal gravity. Then lager for a month on the yeast.

Nice!  I used 100% FM BoPils for mine with Mittelfruh as well.  I did add 3/4# of Wheat Malt though and fermented with WY2535.  Fermented at 62F and it's been lagering for a month.  Tapping over Memborial Day weekend and probably will start brewing #2!

Dave

Sounds good!

I also like WY2535...but my LHBS carries White Labs almost exclusively which is fine by me.  I really like the performance of WLP029.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »

Agreed.  ;)

That's how long I have always layered mine. There's no need to lager it any longer. It's good to go at 2 weeks.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Kolsch
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 05:33:46 PM »

Agreed.  ;)

That's how long I have always layered mine. There's no need to lager it any longer. It's good to go at 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do a side by side tasting of a 4 and 6 week old Kolsch as I am only making one batch.  It certainly wouldn't hurt the beer either way. I typically lager my Kolsch for 4 weeks with very good results and I don't doubt your results as well.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
well, to my tastes it isn't really any better at four weeks than at two. I just don't see the reason to age the beer for 4 weeks. In fact, 7-10 days is probably enough, as long as it is clear and carbonated. This is one of those beers that tastes best fresh to my tastes.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Kolsch
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 04:19:30 AM »
I like to lager this style for 4 weeks at 34F to really clear the beer as well as round out the grainy Pils malt flavor. It's a matter of personal preference. I find it better after a month of lagering. This is my method of choice. It would be an interesting experiment to have some staggered samples of this beer at 2, 4 and 6 weeks old in an effort to distinguish the effects of lagering time.
Ron Price