Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider Starter  (Read 4860 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Cider Starter
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:07:25 pm »
I made some cider with a second pitch of WY2035. It turned out really well but the beer I made first wasn't my favourite. So I want to make another cider. But, I want to make a starter for it and I'm not sure what sort of sugar I need to do this. I don't want to use DME if I don't need to. Will plain sugar work for a cider starter?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Cider Starter
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:15:19 pm »
Brewers spend all their time fretting about starters. Winemakers do not (and cider fermentation has more to do with winemaking). Just rehydrate (or smack for WYeast) and pitch.
The reason, I believe, is that pitching rates matter far more for beer because some sugars are marginally fermentable and attenuation means a lot to flavor. This is not the case for wine and cider. All sugars are fully fermentable and attenuation will be 100% unless you stop it.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:17:36 pm »
I generally agree you don't need to make a starter, plus if it is a little under attenuated that is usually a good thing for cider.  Fully fermented ones are way to dry for me.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:20:08 pm »
Will plain sugar work for a cider starter?

FWIW, I was just listened to the CYBI cider and mead podcasts and from what I gather a starter for liquid yeast made up of simple sugars is okay for ciders.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:30:23 pm »
Will plain sugar work for a cider starter?

FWIW, I was just listened to the CYBI cider and mead podcasts and from what I gather a starter for liquid yeast made up of simple sugars is okay for ciders.
I should have mentioned that I left the yeast in my office for a week. I want to ensure its alive before I buy the juice so I will do a 1L simple sugar starter to make sure its ok. Otherwise I would just pitch as was recommended.
Thanks

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:08:09 pm »
That makes some sense then. Definately add nutrients to that, or if I were doing it I'd probably make the starter with ... cider.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:34:16 pm »
That makes some sense then. Definately add nutrients to that, or if I were doing it I'd probably make the starter with ... cider.
Yeah, I thought about that. My cider comes frozen and if I had a lot of room I would go buy it all and then thaw a liter for starter but I don't have the room in the freezer and I'm too lazy to make 2 trips to the orchard. Maybe I will have to do that though.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 07:11:58 am »
Maybe just use apple juice from a store?
AHA Member since 2006

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 09:27:41 am »
What's your OG going to be?  Unless I fortify the apple juice with extra sugar (which I don't often any more) I haven't found a starter necessary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 01:04:30 pm »
What's your OG going to be?  Unless I fortify the apple juice with extra sugar (which I don't often any more) I haven't found a starter necessary.

I won't add any sugar either. Trying to cut back on the alcohol in everything I make. Been overshooting my OG a lot on beer so I will ferment the cider as I get it.
Thanks