Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: anyone have a Cider Recipe?  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
anyone have a Cider Recipe?
« on: April 28, 2012, 03:14:15 pm »
My LHBS dont carry the kits anymore.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: anyone have a Cider Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:53:54 pm »
All I've ever done is add yeast to cider.

Not much of a recipe, but I don't think you need to do anything more.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
anyone have a Cider Recipe?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:55:56 pm »
All I've ever done is add yeast to cider.

Not much of a recipe, but I don't think you need to do anything more.

That's about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 04:11:55 pm »
First you get a good juice with a blend of apples.

Add yeast. Or not, if you want the wild yeast to do their thing.

Wait.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:44:36 am »
All of the responses so far have nailed it.  There is really no recipe...just juice and yeast (and if your juice is freshly pressd and un-pasteurized, the yeast is even optional).

hopfenmalz does make a point though that I have found to be a key to good cider:  the juice should be a blend of apple varieties. 
And I'll go one step further and say that having some tart varieties in the mix greatly enhances the end result. 
Some may disagree, but I am of the opinion that using strictly sweet juice makes for some pretty lackluster cider.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 06:22:55 am »
The first cider I made used juice from a local orchard that mainly has eating apples, and the cider is sweet and is to drink with the doughnuts. It was not such a good hard cider. One dimensional sums it up.

One of the guys in the club said he used juice from a mill near Howell, MI. This is a small family orchard, but they have many of the older heritage apples. A couple I can remember off the top of my head are Baldwins and Arkansas Blacks. That made a much better cider.

Our club now has a good relationship with the owners. We have done 3 cider pressing days with them over the last 3 years. This year we did 5 differnet blends, for >300 gallons of juice. The orchard uses apples that they can't sell over the counter due to blemishes, small size, or lack of demand for an obscure variety, so they get to use those apples. It is a fun day that many of us look forward to.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:23:41 am »
I shutter to think what a cider kit is.
http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/CiderRecipes
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 12:02:28 pm »
recipe:

Buy cider from reputable orchard
Add To carboy
Put Airlock on
wait.

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 04:07:00 pm »
you can also make hard cider using store bought apple juice or sweet cider.  be careful though to make sure that there are no preservatives listed anywhere on the label.  then just add yeast and any adjuncts and you can produce a fairly mediocre cider.  it's not terrible, but it's no crispin.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 04:39:13 pm »
you can also make hard cider using store bought apple juice or sweet cider.  be careful though to make sure that there are no preservatives listed anywhere on the label.  then just add yeast and any adjuncts and you can produce a fairly mediocre cider.  it's not terrible, but it's no crispin.

A guy in our club won the BOS in our competition with a cider made with store bought cider juice. He couldn't remember the brand, as he had bought it when a college student in Florida before starting grad school at MSU. It was excellent cider. Who knew you could get good store bought juice in Florida?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 05:00:14 pm »

A guy in our club won the BOS in our competition with a cider made with store bought cider juice. He couldn't remember the brand, as he had bought it when a college student in Florida before starting grad school at MSU. It was excellent cider. Who knew you could get good store bought juice in Florida?

Not me and I live here. 
A guy in our club makes a lot of winning ciders from store bought apple juice, but they don't seem to do well in competitions out of the south.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 05:46:07 pm »

I made a batch of cider once using store bought juice and while it wasn't quite like using good, freshly pressed raw cider, it still turned out surprisingly good.

The trick was to add some frozen Granny Smith concentrate to tart the typically sweet supermarket cider/juice up just a bit.  I didn't think of it at the time, but some acid blend (the kind used in winemaking) would probably do a similar thing.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 12:39:06 am »
I've tried with Whole Foods brand unfiltered stuff. Pretty good although it came out really cloudy and peachy tasting. I'd recommend using cider specific yeast if you can. The dude at the LBS convinced me to go with a dry english ale yeast. Bad idea. Use some kind of fining if you don't want the cloudiness.
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!