Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low temp mash- high Ph equals?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Low temp mash- high Ph equals?
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:02:12 pm »
Doing a Kolsch and i have a mash Ph of 5.8. Mash temp was 150 for 75 minutes. Which has a greater effect on the beer? Temperature/time, or Ph?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Low temp mash- high Ph equals?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 11:13:20 am »
they all have effect but pH may be the biggest effect.  That ph is pretty high for a Kolsch. Temp and time seem good to me.

Did you measure your ph at room temp? If so, corrected that would be a ph of 5.55 or so, which is just in ideal range, but for light beers like Kolsch I prefer a pH of 5.3, 5.2 for things like wits and weziens where I want a touch of tartness.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:17:35 pm »
The mash pH is going to drive the pH the whole way through. Having a proper amount of acidity is important to achieve the right flavor profile.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:45:59 pm »
they all have effect but pH may be the biggest effect.  That ph is pretty high for a Kolsch. Temp and time seem good to me.

Did you measure your ph at room temp? If so, corrected that would be a ph of 5.55 or so, which is just in ideal range, but for light beers like Kolsch I prefer a pH of 5.3, 5.2 for things like wits and weziens where I want a touch of tartness.
PH was room temp. not sure what you mean by "corrected Ph". the past couple batches Ph was spot on in the 5.3-5.4 range. I keep my ph meter in storage solution, though I have not calibrated it for several months. Fermentation started this morning, what kind of reading should I expect during early fermentation?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:45:12 am »

PH was room temp. not sure what you mean by "corrected Ph". the past couple batches Ph was spot on in the 5.3-5.4 range. I keep my ph meter in storage solution, though I have not calibrated it for several months. Fermentation started this morning, what kind of reading should I expect during early fermentation?

By corrected, I mean that there is a correction factor involved between pH at mash temps and pH at room temps. There is some debate as to the exact correction, but I have no problem taking Kai and Martin's word for it. If you measure you pH at room temp to be 5.55 then you can assume the actual pH in the mash at sacharification temps will be about 5.3. Assume about .25 difference at sach temps.

As for beginning of fermentation, the boil will drive the pH down as well as the ferment.  The beer should finish no higher then 4.5 though I believe.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.