Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: faucet locks  (Read 6084 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
faucet locks
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:02:48 pm »
Anyone out there using these with Perlick faucets?
Faucet Lock
Do they work effectively?
I hate that I'm even asking but we have kids and the kids friends at the house and they're getting to the age that I recall becoming "experimental". I would prefer to remain trustful yet part of me thinks I should try to remove temptation. At least as it applies to my brew.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: faucet locks
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:34:17 am »
I haven't used them, but I think for that price I'd want to just disconnect my kegs and lock the freezer.  $45 each?  That's going to add up.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:48:25 am »
I thought of that but the lid doesn't have a lock. They are spendy little buggers.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
faucet locks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:04:06 am »
I would have to say I wouldn't worry because they have immature palates and homebrew may not be their favorite lol :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 01:26:49 am »
Yeah, I haven't worried much in the past but today the boy came home with four of his sophomore aged buds. They came in through the garage were the 4 tap kegerator is.  All I could think about after that was what could happen in a similar situation after school if adults weren't around.  I'm probably being paranoid but I'd sure hate to have to have a conversation with some angry parents if anything were to happen.  We're very open with the kids about our hobby and they don't show much if any interest. I'm just wanting to be responsible.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:11:09 am »
Yeah, I haven't worried much in the past but today the boy came home with four of his sophomore aged buds. They came in through the garage were the 4 tap kegerator is.  All I could think about after that was what could happen in a similar situation after school if adults weren't around.  I'm probably being paranoid but I'd sure hate to have to have a conversation with some angry parents if anything were to happen.  We're very open with the kids about our hobby and they don't show much if any interest. I'm just wanting to be responsible.

Well, these days kids are getting wasted by pushing vodka down their eyeballs, so honestly, if my kids choose homebrew, I'll be pretty happy. Who knows what they might try otherwise...
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 04:38:04 am »
Yeah, I would (will be) more worried about them getting into it with their friends than just drinking it themselves since that's a pretty big legal no-no.  I remember what I was doing at that age and I'll be erring on the side of locks for the booze once my kids are older.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 05:31:28 am »
I thought of that but the lid doesn't have a lock. They are spendy little buggers.

A hasp and a padlock are a whole lot cheaper and not that hard to install.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 08:38:51 am »
I bet if you searched around you could find a padlock with a shackle sized just right to lock a faucet. Or get one longer and run it through an eyebolt mounted just below the faucet. Then rest assured that your kids will figure out how the disconnects work and go buy a picnic tap setup.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:52:37 am by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 08:42:17 am »
Trying to teach your kids how to pick locks? I was an easy kid but some of my friends would accomplish amazing things in the search for blastedness. Things they would never accomplish in school they would study and practice on in order to score a high.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 09:35:45 am »
One of the conditions for putting the kegerator into the built in at our house was to get a couple of faucet locks.  It's not so much for my kids, who have grown up around home brewed beer, but more for the friends that will come over in the future.  I have two of the ones pictured (think I paid a bit less for them).  They work just fine. 

If I were actually worried about it, I was just remove the CO2 tank and put a rattlesnake in the kegerator.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 10:00:53 am »
You'll need to put a lock on the kegerator door if you want the faucet locks to have any chance at working.  Otherwise, they'll likely figure out pretty quickly that they can just open the lid and get into the keg with a picnic tap.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:15:16 am »
One of the conditions for putting the kegerator into the built in at our house was to get a couple of faucet locks.  It's not so much for my kids, who have grown up around home brewed beer, but more for the friends that will come over in the future.  I have two of the ones pictured (think I paid a bit less for them).  They work just fine. 

If I were actually worried about it, I was just remove the CO2 tank and put a rattlesnake in the kegerator.
Are you using the locks on Perlick or standard faucets?
The only review I could find said that the locks "slow" but do not prevent the flow of beer. Has this been your experience as well?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 10:41:23 am »
Trying to teach your kids how to pick locks? I was an easy kid but some of my friends would accomplish amazing things in the search for blastedness. Things they would never accomplish in school they would study and practice on in order to score a high.
And those are the friends I'm worried about. 
Hmm..rattlesnake ::)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 10:53:16 am »
I like the rattlesnake idea, but I don't think it will be active enough at 45F to do anything when someone opens the kegerator.

I'm not sure what I'll do, but I have a few years to figure it out.
Tom Schmidlin