Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: San Diego Beer & Brewery  (Read 3866 times)

Offline billginam

• 1st Kit
San Diego Beer & Brewery
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »
I will be visiting San Diego for 10 days in the middle of May. What are so must do's or places I really should go to. Even non beer related places. looking forward to a good time. thanks for the help guys.

Offline brewmanator

• Cellarman
Re: San Diego Beer & Brewery
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:47:01 pm »
Stone, Lost Abbey, Pizza Port - Solana Beach, Port Brewing (Carlsbad or Ocean City), Green Flash, Alesmith, Ballast Point...

I'm sure there are others, but was just what I could remember from my last visit (NHC last June).
- Mike

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:49:14 pm »
Non beer thing to do? There are killer food trucks on a rotational basis typically parked at 1305 Hot Springs Way in Vista? Oh, this location also just happens to be Iron Fist Brewery which would be a shame to not walk in to being that you were already there for the food.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:59:33 pm »
We were there last June and hit up Carl Strauss a couple of times.  Good food and beer and was within walking distance from where we stayed (Holiday Inn across from Maritime Museum).  The USS Midway was really cool!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:27:51 pm »
There are just over 40 breweries/brewpubs in San Diego county now, so what type of beer you prefer will narrow down your search. A couple well supplied bars are Hamiltons, and Tornado, lots and lots of great Cali beer on tap.

Other things SD is known for the Zoo, Sea World and the Wild Animal Park are all among the best anywhere. Costco sells a group ticket to those fro a good deal as they are not cheap.  The board walk over in Mission Bay should not be missed on a warm sunny day.  A day trip to Tijuana is always an adventure, the trolley will take you to the border.

Offline billginam

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:40:37 pm »
 A day trip to Tijuana is always an adventure, the trolley will take you to the border. What do you mean by adventure. I will have my wife with me and we are looking for a nice time, not drug lord type of adventures.
I really enjoy Belgian and Porters, but can't get most of the beer that is in California where I am, South Carolina.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:37:55 pm »
A day trip to Tijuana is always an adventure, the trolley will take you to the border. What do you mean by adventure. I will have my wife with me and we are looking for a nice time, not drug lord type of adventures.
I really enjoy Belgian and Porters, but can't get most of the beer that is in California where I am, South Carolina.

NO NO NO, nothing like that, I think it is still safe there, and go during the daylight hours. Think bars with mechanical bulls, sand volley ball courts, boxing rings inside the bars. Tequila ,Tequila, Tequila, lots of choices, duty free and cheap. Shopping galore-streets, stores- real stuff and real fakes, lots of cool stuff though. A lesson in poverty. Great food.  18 is drinking age so lots of sailors and 16-20 year olds. You gotta do some walking, don't drink the water, don't get in a taxi, be prepared to barter. Passport requiredfor reentry only.

Breweries, the Lost Abbey, Iron Fist and Alesmith should fit your desires. Stone is quite a place and has several taps from other breweries. Just remember you'll be in ipa mecca.

Offline mosgood

• 1st Kit
  • @reviewbrews
    • Review Brews
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 06:42:23 pm »
I don't know where you're staying, but if you want the best breakfast burrito that you'll ever have, go to Kono's Surf Shop in Pacific Beach. I've moved to the east, but I dream about egg burrito #1. Seriously.

Alesmith is a great place. I'd recommend storing some bombers in your suitcase for the flight home.
In fridge: Half Baked (Session IPA brewed on 4/20)
Aging: Ivan Drago Russian Imperial Stout aged w/ whiskey soaked oak chips (October?)
Up next: Honey Apricot Wheat