Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: faucet locks  (Read 6083 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Re: faucet locks
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 11:38:52 am »
My future plans are to return to using picnic taps, push them inside the keezer and I already have the hasp installed for the pad lock.  If that doesn't work, I will just take the beer out, and put my kids inside it and lock it for a few years.  :)

Again, it is more to protect their friends and the wrath (or legal action or other liability) of their parents.  And what a waste to have a 10 year old barley wine (or other similarly aging limited releases) being used by teens for a "cheap" (for them) buzz.

Again, being knowledgable about such activities as a teen barely into my forties myself....be proactive, trust, but verify.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 12:05:15 pm »
I personally wouldn't worry about the faucet locks, if you're disconnecting your kegs and locking the keezer.  I completely agree with bo about the hasp and padlock.  20 bucks vs 45 a pop for faucets locks.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 10:13:22 am »
My future plans are to return to using picnic taps, push them inside the keezer and I already have the hasp installed for the pad lock.

That's probably the easiest, cheapest, and most effective solution.  It also allows you to easily hook up lines to the faucets for a party if you want to.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 10:19:40 am »
I went ahead and ordered one of the locks to try out. If they don't work. That makes the decision easier. I'm not leaning towards disconnecting/sanitizing/reconnecting my lines every time I want a beer, not to mention moving whatever happens to be on the lid. I'm hoping I can add a lid lock to the hinges somehow so I don't have to crap up the front of the kegerator.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 04:53:52 pm »
One of the conditions for putting the kegerator into the built in at our house was to get a couple of faucet locks.  It's not so much for my kids, who have grown up around home brewed beer, but more for the friends that will come over in the future.  I have two of the ones pictured (think I paid a bit less for them).  They work just fine. 

If I were actually worried about it, I was just remove the CO2 tank and put a rattlesnake in the kegerator.
One of the conditions for putting the kegerator into the built in at our house was to get a couple of faucet locks.  It's not so much for my kids, who have grown up around home brewed beer, but more for the friends that will come over in the future.  I have two of the ones pictured (think I paid a bit less for them).  They work just fine. 

If I were actually worried about it, I was just remove the CO2 tank and put a rattlesnake in the kegerator.

Are you using the locks on Perlick or standard faucets?
The only review I could find said that the locks "slow" but do not prevent the flow of beer. Has this been your experience as well?

The only review I could find said that the locks "slow" but do not prevent the flow of beer. Has this been your experience as well?

They are ventmatics.  So pretty much the same.  You have to crank the locks down, but they won't open.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!