Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Anybody watch "The Last One"  (Read 1894 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Anybody watch "The Last One"
« on: February 03, 2010, 07:43:37 pm »
It was either on TLC or Discovery... I can't remember.   ???  Anyway it was a documentary about moonshine, it was interesting.  They said moonshine as we know it is practically gone now, not nearly as many shiners out there as the ATF and licensed distillers have taken over. 

They had an old boy on there that was busted twice, and he was making his last batch forever on TV.   ;D  Anyway it was cool, the old boy walked you through it, just corn, water and wild yeast... then after a week of sitting they boiled it in a make-shift hearth.  It went from the brew kettle to a "doubler" which catches the Fusel alcohols and lets the remaining steam continue on to the cooling coil.  From there you want it to run slow or you'll get fusels, and Do number the containers because the first container has a higher alcohol content.  They mix or blend the containers from there to get a good cohesive(?) mix. 

Look it up online, not kidding, it was a good show except it was a little hard to understand some of the words, they had a good drawl. 

Offline dontblake

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
    • Indian Peaks Alers
Re: Anybody watch "The Last One"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:45:29 pm »
Yeah, I think I caught the second half of it.   Pretty interesting.   neat still they built in the woods.
What really amazed me was how the 'good ol boys' could tell the alcohol content (supposedly) by shaking their mason jars full of hooch.
Don Blake, Erie CO
Founder, Indian Peaks Alers
Grand Master BJCP Judge

brewboy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00:15 pm »
Do you know if this is coming back on in the future?

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:04:34 pm »
I'll do a search for it on the guide and post if I see it coming up again.  They are selling the video for $28, I do remember that. 

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:15:29 pm »
Tuesday, February 9th at 3:00 AM on the DOC channel.

"Popcorn Sutton demonstrates the craft of distilling liquor".   :D

brewboy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:18:03 pm »
I did a search and couldn't find it direct tv.