Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial porter not carbonating. Add more yeast or let it be?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline 202brew

• 1st Kit
I cooked up an imperial porter that came out at OG of around 1.080. I had a lot of yeast through the first week. Even in my 6.5 gallon carboy I found myself cleaning out the airlock several time. I let it sit in the fermenter for just over a month. I primed with slightly less priming sugar than I had intended (4 oz instead of 4.5). It been in the bottle for more than 5 weeks and still hasn't carbonated. I tried tipping a bottle to get more yeast into suspension. I drank it a few days later with no luck.

The beer tastes sweet. The issue doesn't seem to be a lack of fermentables. Could it be that the yeast kicked out in the fermenter? Should I add more yeast? If so, how? I have liquid and dry yeast laying around. I could add a little dry yeast to each bottle or I could pour the bottles back into the bottling bucket and add some liquid yeast. (The beer is in EZ-caps, so neither would be a tragedy.)

Or do I just need to be patient?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Imperial porter not carbonating. Add more yeast or let it be?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:46:38 pm »
It should have carbonated by now. So there's a problem.

Try adding actively fermenting yeast to the bottles. If you have access to syringes this will be a snap.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:29:49 am »
Don't poor the bottles into another bucket if you can avoid it. That is a good way to oxidize the beer. If you have some dry yeast around (like US-05) I would activate it in water then use an eye dropper to put some in each bottle. Of course you will have to un-cap and re-cap but that is not a big deal since the beer is not carbonated now.

You did not give us a FG reading. It may taste sweet from a high FG or the lack of carbonation.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 06:32:37 am »
What temperature are the bottles sitting at? Before you try adding yeast, you might want to see if warming them up will get them to carb.
Mark Gres

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:59:44 am »
What temperature are the bottles sitting at? Before you try adding yeast, you might want to see if warming them up will get them to carb.

+1 Based on the gravity and time in the fermenter I would think that there should be enough yeast left to carbonate.  Although since it's in EZ cap bottles throwing a little more dry yeast in each bottle and warming them up wouldn't be too hard.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline 202brew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 05:08:41 pm »
Thanks all for the good advice.

A little more info... My apartment runs warm but the temp is a pretty stable 75-77. Final gravity was 1.018.

I have some Nottingham dry yeast in the fridge that I can add. How long should I wait for it do its magic. Another week or two?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 05:42:29 pm »
At those temps it certainly should have carbed up if it was going to.

And yes, two weeks is about right.  Maybe less considering how warm it is.
Joe