Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Rose By Any Other Name  (Read 13811 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: A Rose By Any Other Name
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 11:41:27 am »
When I decided to name my brewery I went with a Information Technology is driving me crazy theme.  Hence the "Slowly Losing IT Brewery" was born.  I tried to give beers names that fit the theme.  Here are a few (along with, hopefully witty, tag lines:
Paul

lots of good names; thank you for sharing them.
I've only bothered with a few.  When the company furloughed us for a month of course my IPA became "Furloughed Engineer - Pale, Bitter, and Full of Alcohol"
and when a guy in our club bragged about his mediocre porter, "Better than Stino's" was born.  8)

cheers--
--Michael

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Re: A Rose By Any Other Name
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 11:47:51 am »
I think "Concern Troll Kolsch" would be appropriate too.
And there's always the popular "Hold on, honey, someone on the Internet is Wrong Wheat"

Personally, I find casual misogyny as offensive as casual racism. In other words, I find it a little bit more upsetting than someone claiming you never need to make a starter, or you should ferment your beer at 90*F.

Thank God this is America, where anyone is free to be a bigot, and I'm free to deride them.

HEAR HEAR! ahh bigots and misogynists, what fun would we have without them?

** BEGIN IRONY **
Personally I hate ALL bigots, they are all stupid, ugly, unskilled and untrustworthy. pluss they have no self respect and will work for next to nothing. How are godo upstanding folks like myself supposed to make a living with all those damn bigots cluttering up the job market? ** END IRONY **.

Bo - until very recently, in historical terms, brewing was a 'womens' art. Men would not have had anything to do with it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Re: Re: A Rose By Any Other Name
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 12:09:05 pm »
I think "Concern Troll Kolsch" would be appropriate too.
And there's always the popular "Hold on, honey, someone on the Internet is Wrong Wheat"

Personally, I find casual misogyny as offensive as casual racism. In other words, I find it a little bit more upsetting than someone claiming you never need to make a starter, or you should ferment your beer at 90*F.

Thank God this is America, where anyone is free to be a bigot, and I'm free to deride them.

Who's being a bigot?  I was simply making comment on the nature of arguments on the Internet.  ???

-Sent from the future.

I think that was directed at me. :D

If the shoe fits....

Try the random beer name generator...

http://www.strangebrew.ca/beername.php
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 12:18:47 pm »
Nice article.....but you might as well be arguing against using cliches.

I don't like naming beers until they deserve them.  I have a number of beers that have working titles that my co-brewer (brother) and I use amongst ourselves at our secret homebrewing meetings.  I like names that have names of historical (also phiolosophical), personal, or convey a sense about the beer, its ingredients, makers or the effect the beer has on you...more often, though, out in the real world, I like the name better than the beer.....

My only real named beer is Bridesmaid Oktoberfest.  It won 2nd best of show in two consecutive local competitions in 2011 (one a Oktoberfest only comp)....this beer has earned her name....and since Oktoberfest is a rememberance of a celebration of the wedding (of prince Ludwig?)....it becomes doubly befitting.

I use "panty dropper" to describe a family of beers that belie their ABV.  Enough of those and I might lose mine...., but no, not an original or particular pleasing name. 

Names are important, as the written word was developed to describe images and make lasting impressions...that is why we have a hard time remembering anything that happened to us as children before we learn to speak.  The names of styles are also important and the debates amongst us between Dark American, Cascadian, BIPA, Noonanian or other iterations are time well spent.  Nobody is arguing over the number classification....it is the name that stirs the soul and sparks the imagination.

But your reference to Shakespeare is incorrect.  Juliet was arguing that a name is arbitrary and does more harm than good.  Juliet's suggestion in her next line past the one about the rose (as well as Denny's point made above):

"So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name;
And for that name, which is no part of thee,Take all myself."

She offers herself in exchange for his name....of course, it all ends in tears.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: Re: Re: A Rose By Any Other Name
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 12:21:30 pm »
If the shoe fits....

Yeah...Shoe fits...foo s***s....Foo s***s Foreign Extra Stout (TM)  ;D

Aw man, I'm getting censored....help, help, I'm being repressed!
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2012, 12:25:07 pm »
Yeah, I know Juliet is talking about stripping away the artifice of the name to allow their love to blossom, but if you're going to reach for a literary reference, it seems to work best if it's Shakespeare. Otherwise my reference for dropping the off names would be K.V Jr - "There's only one rule that I know of, babies—********** it, you've got to be kind."

And ccfoo - you're running into the default filters the board comes installed with. I don't know if we've ever tweaked except to be funny.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 12:28:41 pm »
And ccfoo - you're running into the default filters the board comes installed with. I don't know if we've ever tweaked except to be funny.

No worries, I'm sure people got it.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2012, 12:45:56 pm »
If you take the word Rose and Romeo out and replace it with BIPA and the word Juliet and replace with CDA it makes a whole lotta sense and becomes A tale of star crossed Craft Beer Lovers.

Romeo (AKA BIPA):
But soft! What light through yonder bottle breaks?
It is the East, and CDA is the sun!
Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,
Who is already sick and pale with grief
That thou her maid art far more fair than she.

Juilet (AKA CDA):
What's in a name? That which we call a Beer
By any other name would smell as sweet.
So BIPA would, were he not BIPA call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. BIPA, doff thy name;
And for that name, which is no part of thee,
Take all myself.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2012, 01:04:01 pm »
[

Do you really consider yourself an arrogant bastard?

or so i have been told
Don AHA member

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2012, 01:10:08 pm »
a few of my others

heilige Nacht (holy night)  what the three wise men meant to bring
golden chalice -  not the holy grail, but damn good
bad don's barley wine - because every man has his develish moments.

Don AHA member

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2012, 01:18:58 pm »
I suppose names and labels like these should be omitted as well:

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 01:44:45 pm »
i see a big difference between something like the "dirty blonde ale" and "spread your legs scottish 80"

i hate shakespere.
Don AHA member

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 01:46:50 pm »
i see a big difference between something like the "dirty blonde ale" and "spread your legs scottish 80"

i hate shakespere.

ROFL... Shakespeare Was a Douche Oatmeal Stout...

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2012, 01:56:02 pm »

i hate shakespere.

ROFL... Shakespeare Was a Douche Oatmeal Stout...
now you're on to something... would the label say "drink before reading"
Don AHA member

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2012, 01:59:43 pm »
Interesting read. I can't emphasize your last point enough: "can we layoff the scatalogical and sex references?"

That was a late add for me and maybe it's 16 years in California or getting older, but I'm flat out bored with that sort of lazy naming and it does the community as a whole no good.

There was a recent article in the UK about how bawdy beer names don't actually attract people.

There is a local brewery, who make big on the concept of engineering, who happen to have pulled of "Piston Broke" though (I may be saying this as the brewers' sister is one of my students and she gave me a case of beer recently).
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/