Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Biscuits  (Read 4020 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Biscuits
« on: May 09, 2012, 12:12:57 pm »
I've been craving me some biscuits and gravy. But with my self imposed austerity measures I don't have the Bisquick that I'd normally use. But I do have the ingredients.:)

Anyway I made drop biscuits that came out beautifully golden with a perfect texture. Taste? Flat. Lifeless. Bland. ???

You guys got any tips on a biscuit recipe?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Biscuits
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:14:11 pm »
I've been craving me some biscuits and gravy. But with my self imposed austerity measures I don't have the Bisquick that I'd normally use. But I do have the ingredients.:)

Anyway I made drop biscuits that came out beautifully golden with a perfect texture. Taste? Flat. Lifeless. Bland. ???

You guys got any tips on a biscuit recipe?

my wife sometimes uses olive oil in place of the margerine/butter, and includes some shredded parmesan. those are pretty damn good.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 01:47:51 pm »
I've been making this recipe for a while now and it isn't the best I've ever had, but it is the best I've been able to make so far.  They always get great reviews from guests when I make them.

I always cut the butter up into small pieces and throw it in the freezer for 10 minutes or so to get it really cold.

From here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/white-sausage-gravy-recipe/index.html

Biscuits:
2 cups all-purpose flour (about 8 ounces), plus more for dusting
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon fine salt
7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, sliced
3/4 cup milk
Glaze:
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
To make the biscuits: Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with two layers of parchment paper. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Rub 2 tablespoons of the butter into the flour with your fingertips until completely absorbed. Work the remaining butter into the flour until it is in even pieces about the size of a pea. Gently stir the milk into the flour mixture to make a loose dough.

Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and turn the dough out onto it. Pat the dough into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle. Fold the dough in thirds like a business letter. (For a flakier biscuit repeat the folding a second time.) Pat the dough into a 5 by 8-inch rectangle about 3/4-inch thick. Use a 2- to 3-inch round cutter to make 6 biscuits, and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. Press together the scraps of dough and cut 2 more biscuits.

To make the glaze: Mix the cream and melted butter together in a small bowl. Lightly brush the tops of the biscuits with the glaze. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 8 biscuits

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 07:37:17 am »
I usually do the same type of recipe as James just without the glaze. Alton's is a pretty standard southern biscuit. Messy but easy and tasty. Love a good biscuits and gravy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/southern-biscuits-recipe/index.html
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:14:00 pm by brewmichigan »
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 10:02:26 am »
I trust Alton Brown for any recipe I have never made before. He has never steered me wrong.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 02:06:48 pm »
I trust Alton Brown for any recipe I have never made before. He has never steered me wrong.

Hopefully you started brewing before you watched his brewing episode :)

Most of the time I'd agree with you though.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 02:21:21 pm »

everybody picks on that episode. I gotta say I started with that recipe and more or less those directions and the results were perfectly good. is it going to make award winning beer? no, but it makes good beer and it's pretty darn easy. I think for new brewers who have never done it before it's actually quite good. The ice trick to chill the wort and top up at the same time is awesome if you don't have a wort chiller. certainly easier than putting your kettle in the tub for 3 hours.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 04:11:53 pm »

everybody picks on that episode. I gotta say I started with that recipe and more or less those directions and the results were perfectly good. is it going to make award winning beer? no, but it makes good beer and it's pretty darn easy. I think for new brewers who have never done it before it's actually quite good. The ice trick to chill the wort and top up at the same time is awesome if you don't have a wort chiller. certainly easier than putting your kettle in the tub for 3 hours.

I agree, I have seen much worse advice from "more reputable" sources. Obviously, it isn't the best advice ever, but I am for anything that makes brewing seem easy, because the hardest part about homebrewing is getting started. I don't know how many times I have heard people say "I would like to start homebrewing, but it's so complicated."

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 02:18:04 pm »
If you use the Alton Brown receipe and cannot get White Lily flour where you live, I strongly suggest using a 50/50 mix of cake flour and AP flour.

"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197