Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pleasant surprise  (Read 6335 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: pleasant surprise
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 02:10:25 pm »
You look a lot older in your forum pic than on the BS Podcast.

I think I'll take that as a compliment! Of course that pic was taken 5 years ago, so... maybe I've gained Dick Clark's powers! :)

As for styles - I would say anything that you'd want some caramel flavor to - a dubbel? A Belgian Dark? a Bock? etc. etc. Just be careful.. reduced malt (it's not really caramelized) does have reduced fermentability as well.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 02:12:12 pm »
Excellent. I will no longer sweat running out of crystal. Yet another technique for the arsenal.

Diane, while I love and use the boil down technique, I certainly wouldn't call it a substitute for crystal.  The results are quite different.  IMO, each has it's place and they are not interchangeable.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 02:20:41 pm »
You look a lot older in your forum pic than on the BS Podcast.

I think I'll take that as a compliment! Of course that pic was taken 5 years ago, so... maybe I've gained Dick Clark's powers! :)

As for styles - I would say anything that you'd want some caramel flavor to - a dubbel? A Belgian Dark? a Bock? etc. etc. Just be careful.. reduced malt (it's not really caramelized) does have reduced fermentability as well.

Do you really want Dick Clark powers? Too soon?

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 02:44:57 pm »
Diane, while I love and use the boil down technique, I certainly wouldn't call it a substitute for crystal.  The results are quite different.  IMO, each has it's place and they are not interchangeable.

Yeah, you'll get different results. Think about the difference between a malty, but relatively dry North English Brown (Like Sammy Smith's) vs a typical sweet American brown ale.

Reduced wort will provide depth-of-flavor and color, and will provide more malty/caramel flavors the darker you cook it, but you'll never get the sweetness you'll get from crystal malt. I agree with Drew. It's appropriate whenever you want a more robust malt flavor, or flavors in the same "class" as crystal malt, but don't want the residual sweetness.

I don't want to get into a semantic argument, but the difference between a caramel reaction and a Maillard reaction are often confused in food industry literature because of their similar chemical/sensory characteristics. There is a ton of flavor overlap between the two. 

Chemically speaking, caramelization: sugar + heat = sugar loses water, undergoes further dehydration. Maillard reactions: sugar + heat + amino acids = sugar loses water, undergoes further dehydration, plus some other stuff happens.

I make a lot of caramelized sugar syrups for my Belgian beers, and I've gotten lots of crazy flavors out of them, including crackers, toast, roasted almonds, and other things that don't taste like what we typically think of as "caramel" flavors.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 03:02:01 pm »
Thanks for the input. I will keep all the caveats in mind when I use this technique.

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 03:12:49 pm »
I detect more sweetness from a boil down than I do from crystal malts.  Tastes is funny....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 03:21:37 pm »
I detect more sweetness from a boil down than I do from crystal malts.  Tastes is funny....

That is really interesting. I have an ESB at home I made with the reduced wort method, and an IPA I used dark crystal (100 SRM, IIRC). Color-wise they're practically identical. Same water. Both used US-05. ESB finished at 1.022 and the IPA finished at 1.020. I would describe the IPA as noticeably sweeter than the ESB. The IPA obviously has more IBUs and more hop character, but even so it seems sweeter to me. 
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 07:59:53 am »

I do as well.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 08:50:00 am »
Back to the OT for a second:

On the dry finish:

1st scoresheet: Mouthfeel 3/5. "Very thin and dry, could use more body"
Flavor: "low caramel, could use more dry roasted malt flavor. Clean finish. Slight metallic flavor throughout. Astringent or tanic finish, but minimal"
Overall: "drinkable beer with pleasant flavor, true to style. Minor off flavors"

2nd scoresheet: Mouthfeel 4/5. "Nice body, nicely carbonated. Dry finish."
Also on Flavor: "malty and sweet up front, maybe a little too hoppy, dry finish"
Overall; "very well to style, nice overall beer"

"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa