Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing at Rogue today  (Read 15512 times)

Offline Poobah58

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Brewing at Rogue today
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2012, 12:16:19 pm »
Sweet! Looks like it was fun...
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2012, 07:27:42 am »
Thanks for sharing Denny. Looked like that brew day was a lot harder than our brew day at SN  ;)
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2012, 09:48:25 am »
Thanks for sharing Denny. Looked like that brew day was a lot harder than our brew day at SN  ;)

It sure was!  I told John about the "brewing" at SN and he laughed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2012, 10:13:52 am »

So John is not into clicking icons on the display to do the brewing?  :)

Edit - Not that there is anything wrong with that. We did one of our beers at a local Brewpub, and there was no manway on the mash tun.  The wet spent grain from 7 bbls. of a Baltic Porter had to come up and over- good thing it was wide and shallow. They are getting a 14 barrel system soon, with a manway on the mashtun. My friend Bob told the brewer that with that, he had gotten a raise! Those guys work hard, real hard.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:39:09 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2012, 12:22:38 pm »

Edit - Not that there is anything wrong with that. We did one of our beers at a local Brewpub, and there was no manway on the mash tun.  The wet spent grain from 7 bbls. of a Baltic Porter had to come up and over- good thing it was wide and shallow. They are getting a 14 barrel system soon, with a manway on the mashtun. My friend Bob told the brewer that with that, he had gotten a raise! Those guys work hard, real hard.

Man, I can't imagine having to do that!

I don't know about your Beer Camp, but for us "brewing" involved weighing out the hops and grain and watching Scott and his crew do the work.

BTW, all gravity readings were taken with a hydrometer at the Rogue brew.  John hates refractometers!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2012, 07:41:20 am »

BTW, all gravity readings were taken with a hydrometer at the Rogue brew.  John hates refractometers!

I do to but 3 broken hydrometers can change a man. I'm sure John has a fancy hydrometer holding station like a "drawer" or something. Man, pro brewers have all the cool toys.  :D
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2012, 08:05:28 am »

Man, I can't imagine having to do that!

I don't know about your Beer Camp, but for us "brewing" involved weighing out the hops and grain and watching Scott and his crew do the work.

You didn't get to dump the hops into the boil kettle?  That and what you said.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2012, 08:56:13 am »
You didn't get to dump the hops into the boil kettle?  That and what you said.

Oh, yeah, that too....one of the other guys did it and I forgot that part.  The Rogue brew was much more physical!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2012, 10:27:01 am »
Denny, How would you rate the processes of SN vs. Rogue?  Which brewery impressed you the most?
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2012, 10:38:22 am »
Denny, How would you rate the processes of SN vs. Rogue?  Which brewery impressed you the most?

Keep in mind that I brewed at a small satellite Rogue brewery, although I've been to the main brewery many times.  Obviously SN is much larger.  I also think SN is more geeky/techy/tightly controlled (in terms of the brewing process) than Rogue.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2012, 07:38:56 am »

Keep in mind that I brewed at a small satellite Rogue brewery, although I've been to the main brewery many times.  Obviously SN is much larger.  I also think SN is more geeky/techy/tightly controlled (in terms of the brewing process) than Rogue.

I would imagine. I've never been to Rogue or know anything about their brewing process but SN is on top of everything. They have made into a science! I was blown away by how much control they have over the product when you're making hundreds of thousands of barrels of beer.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2012, 09:22:59 am »
When we toured Rogue about 8 to 9 years back, it looked like a big homebrew set up.  That is to be a compliment to John, who was a AHA homebrewer of the year.

Sierra Nevada is a very technical brewery. It is the cleanest brewery I have ever been in. It is the most beautiful brewery I have been in. I think these points are all reflections of Ken Grossman view of what his brewery should be.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline mroakley

• Cellarman
    • The Grain Trust
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2012, 11:06:35 am »
Sierra Nevada is a very technical brewery. It is the cleanest brewery I have ever been in. It is the most beautiful brewery I have been in. I think these points are all reflections of Ken Grossman view of what his brewery should be.

I agree. 

The hop freezer is my favorite part.  "Go get your hands dirty!"  Well, okay, if you absolutely insist.   :)