Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Outside Help - Where Is It Worth It?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Outside Help - Where Is It Worth It?
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:33:35 am »
Pros: In your experience, when is it necessary/advisable to hire a specialized hand when expanding, upgrading, or simply maintaining a brewery?

Specifying/purchasing/setting new equipment? Adding a packaging line? Yeast maintenance/lab work? Properly dealing with wastewater/sewers/etc.?

I am a biochemical/electrical engineer currently working for a big consulting firm. The projects I've done, and the skills/knowledge I've gained would translate well to microbreweries. The question is - is there a market for ANY type of engineering help in craft beer?

I will strike out on my own at some point in the future (working for "The Man" hasn't been much fun!). I know I want to be a part of the great craft beer business community in America, but I don't think opening a brewery is my calling.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Outside Help - Where Is It Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:43:51 am »
The most help we have needed were from electricians and HVAC guys. We also used an architect to design to design the brewery to avoid issues with health department and building inspectors.

In your case, maybe you could post on Pro Brewer and see if anyone is looking for your specific services.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Outside Help - Where Is It Worth It?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:57:13 am »
Ventilation is everything.  Most HVAC guys these days have forgotten the "V" and tend to only think of Heating and Air Conditioning.  Someone like you (with your homebrewing experience) would better understand and appreciate the process and the significant ventilation issues associated with brewing--particularly steam/moisture from the BK, and CO2 production from fermentation.  Good luck.