Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Brutus System  (Read 11210 times)

Offline enash7070

• 1st Kit
My Brutus System
« on: May 11, 2012, 09:33:05 am »
Here is my Brutus 10 System I built...I found a guy on craigslist to weld up the stand to my specs.  and pretty much kept to the plans.  I polished the barrels myself. took about a day apiece...Since i live in a 900 sq ft apartment and this is in my kitchen I wanted it to look like  it belonged there...at this point I don't have the luxury of brewing in a garage or outdoors..

The polished keggles make for easy clean up too...

The frame is carbon steel and I painted it with high temp black header paint and it has held up very well...I brew about three times a month on it...

It took a little bit of getting use to brewing on this compared to my old system.  and I been brewing on it since Jan. 2012 and I am still fine tuning it...but the pumps make it nice....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: My Brutus System
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 10:27:19 am »
Wow.  Shiny. 8)

Are you really using propane burners indoors?  Seems like a bad idea to me - be careful.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:34:57 am »
Wow.  Shiny. 8)

Are you really using propane burners indoors?  Seems like a bad idea to me - be careful.

Many people have propane run into their homes and they have gas ranges. Quite common. Proper ventilation is necessary.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:47:48 am »
Yeah, but having the tank indoors is illegal and dangerous. House catches on fire and you have a huge bomb ready to go off. I assuming the OP has this set up for photoshot purposes.

Beautiful system!!!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:52:58 am »
Yeah, but having the tank indoors is illegal and dangerous. House catches on fire and you have a huge bomb ready to go off. I assuming the OP has this set up for photoshot purposes.

Beautiful system!!!

Oh crap, I didn't see the tank in the corner. My bad. That is a definite no, no.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:07:15 am »
The system is beautiful! 

I would be very hesitant to use the large propane burners we use indoors too.  I grew up in a fram house where we had a gas stove that ran propane but nothing with burners this large.

I think Kieth is right about those tanks being outdoor only.  Our tank on the farm was 1k gallon tank that also served the grain dryers.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:03:06 pm »
Nice. Shiny.

Miller-Coors.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:19:42 pm »
Only 2lb tanks can be used indoors. Everything else is supposed to be outside and piped indoor. 

The reason has to do with how much the gas expands should the tank leak.  A full tank can fill a house with gas. 

-Sent from the future.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:57:41 pm »
Proper ventilation is required not only to vent steam and propane, but also the byproducts of combustion (CO2 and carbon monoxide, most notably).

Without a properly sized hood, its kind of like turning on your car while its in the garage.

Also - I'm sure your Apartment Complex doesn't allow propane burners of any kind OR tie-ins to your natural gas line (if you have NG).

KEEP THE BRUTUS - just convert it to electric. Unlplug your stove/washer on brewday :) Also make sure you can deal with all of the boil-off so you dont soak your ceiling.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline alohabrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 01:21:15 pm »
Nice job, I'm jealous
Corporal-BN Army
Hudson Valley Homebrewers

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 01:45:33 pm »
If you wouldn't mind could you give some more specifics? Like:
Did you use the "Brutus 10 build" book or get instructions on line (if so where)?
Where'd you get your keggles? Make them?
What kind of control box is that? Make it? Buy it? Where?
What kind and where'd you buy those electric heater element thingies for the HLT and mash tun?
Thanks!