Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing water adjustment - Chicago water  (Read 11411 times)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Brewing water adjustment - Chicago water
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 12:56:02 pm »
greg that seems about right.

You are correct about everything you said. My personal preference for a Saison is one with a little bit of bite to it. just my preference! Your way may be more to your liking keeping to the sulfate to chloride ratio balanced.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Greg A.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 01:00:04 pm »

You are correct about everything you said. My personal preference for a Saison is one with a little bit of bite to it. just my preference! Your way may be more to your liking keeping to the sulfate to chloride ratio balanced.

thanks for your help.  I plan on brewing many of different saisons in my course of finding some decent personal recipes.  I am sure I will try bitter to malty variations throughout the process.
Greg Arndt
Homebrewer in training

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 01:09:34 pm »

thanks for your help.  I plan on brewing many of different saisons in my course of finding some decent personal recipes.  I am sure I will try bitter to malty variations throughout the process.

Thats the only way to do it! A final point of advice...dont stress about water. I have learned quite a bit about it the last couple months thanks some of the awesome folks around here like Martin.  What I've found is Keep it Simple!

-get your pH right first
-get 40-50 ppm calcium minimum
-Get your sulfate to chloride ratio right for the style
-bicarbonate levels are tricky, get a pH meter and check before you dump chalk in. Ive found that anything more than 200 ppm Bicarbonate is all that it takes for even the darkest beers
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.