Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How worried should I be about DMS?  (Read 1659 times)

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
How worried should I be about DMS?
« on: February 08, 2010, 07:40:18 am »
I brewed a Belgian Wit this weekend, but didn't realize how low I was on propane.  I got a good rolling boil for at least 45 minutes, but the final 45 minutes the strength of the boil was weak at best, as the tank got lighter and lighter (less pressure pushing the gas out).  I left the heat on for a little longer to compensate (maybe 15 minutes).

A little less than half the grain bill is German Pils (40 to 45%).
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: How worried should I be about DMS?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:04:12 am »
Can't help you much with the DMS issue but, assuming you use portble propane tanks, there's a couple of things you might want to consider.

First off, the colder the weather the colder the tank the harder it is for it to push the gas out.  Partially submerging the tank in a tub of warm water helps there.

Second, it's a good idea to always have a second full tank around.  That way, when the first tank starts to wind down, you can just switch over the second.  Then it's just a matter of refilling the first tank whenever it happens to be convenient.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:26:11 am »
I wouldn't worry too much...
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:50:48 am »
Thanks Denny!

And thanks for the hokerer.  I use the same propane tank for brewing and for my outdoor grill (not that I've been doing any grilling in the winter).  I may try the tub of warm water - although it won't stay warm for long in the sub freezing temps we have here.  Every time I picked up the tank and gave it a good shake, the gas pressure bumped a little, but not for long.

I have a propane heater in my basement, which means I have a large propane cylinder beside the house.  Once I get my patio finished out back, I plan to move the grill there and get a hook up for the grill and brewing.  No more lugging tanks around or worrying about running out of fuel!
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada