Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Basic Dubbel and Tripel recipes  (Read 11224 times)

Offline paul

• Cellarman
Re: Basic Dubbel and Tripel recipes
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 09:35:18 am »
Jamil's tripel recipe calls for 0.25 lb aromatic, so I don't think it's out of place at all.  I haven't made it, but I've made other light beers that are primarily pils malt and have frequently included some vienna malt, munich malt, or aromatic.  Seems like a reasonable thing to add if you want a little more a malt aroma than pils malt gives.  It all comes down to what you're trying to accomplish.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 09:42:09 am »
I would personally not use any special B in a dubbel and up the amount of Dark candi syrup. I think you might be starting to see there is not really a right or wrong answer here, but personal preference.

I tried that for a few batches and it just didn't have the richness of flavor I was looking for.  Adding .25 lb. of Special B back in got me to where I wanted to be.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 10:54:16 am »
I could go with .25 lb / 5 gallons. Not much more than that though. I do think the dark candi is much more integral to the authenticity aspect of a dubbel than special b.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 11:17:28 am »
I could go with .25 lb / 5 gallons. Not much more than that though. I do think the dark candi is much more integral to the authenticity aspect of a dubbel than special b.

Agreed on all counts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 01:08:45 am »
What is the difference between my Belgian Golden Strong and Tripel? The BGS has more hops and the Tripel has a bit of aromatic malt. Otherwise the grain bills between the two are the same - pils and sugar.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 08:21:02 am »
Gotta be careful with that Special B - a little goes a long way!

I'm with you - I like a little malt complexity in my tripel. If its not for a competition, do whatever the hell you want!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 11:25:47 am »
I like a little Munich in my Tripel, something between .5 and 1.5 lbs total.  I find in those amounts it adds to the graininess without really taking away from the beer's crisp soul.  Whatever you do, keep it simple.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 01:11:50 pm »
I do a 1/4 lb of aromatic for Tripel's as well.

Dubbels I think can handle a fair amount of complexity.

I use .5 lb table sugar, .75 lbs dark candi syrup, .25 lbs special B, .5 lbs caravienne, .5 lbs caramunich.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 01:05:58 pm »
i added a half pound of aromatic,... the same reason i want to add some complexity... at this stage smells and looks good!...
Al Equihua