Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Utilization from spruce tips  (Read 11429 times)

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
Utilization from spruce tips
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:01:19 pm »
I've heard that spruce tips should be added for at least 60 minutes in the boil, because extracting the spruce aromas and flavors takes more time than with hops. Does anyone know about how to use spruce? My question is whether adding the spruce at the end of the boil, or even dry-hopping with it, would yield anything at all.
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Utilization from spruce tips
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:18:09 am »
I always boil them for 60 minutes.  I've never tried late additions or dry-sprucing.  I would make a tea and boil it for different time and see what you think.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:54:30 am »
I've heard that spruce tips should be added for at least 60 minutes in the boil, because extracting the spruce aromas and flavors takes more time than with hops. Does anyone know about how to use spruce? My question is whether adding the spruce at the end of the boil, or even dry-hopping with it, would yield anything at all.

Hi CFleisher,

I was told by Pete Devaris (I think) that you should not add spruce tips at any point other than 60 minutes.  Definitely don't dry hop with them.  I've had great success adding spruce tips at the beginning of the boil.  Good luck!

Cheers,
   Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:33:02 pm »
Wow, Janis, I didn't think the words "success" and "spruce tips" could be used in the same sentence!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:56:08 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:39:24 pm »
LOL, Denny!

That was in a Koelsch no less!  It was tasty and spruce-y all the way to the end.  One thing to note is that the measurement of the spruce tips should be by weight, not volume, I believe.  Check with Devaris to confirm.  (He gave a great talk on this subject at the Homebrewers Conference in Las Vegas.)

Cheers,
   Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 02:54:34 pm »
My preferred weight for an addition of spruce tips is zero.

Worst. Beer. I. Ever. Made.

But you may enjoy it, so go forth and experiment.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:47:23 pm »
LOL, Denny!

That was in a Koelsch no less!  It was tasty and spruce-y all the way to the end.  One thing to note is that the measurement of the spruce tips should be by weight, not volume, I believe.  Check with Devaris to confirm.  (He gave a great talk on this subject at the Homebrewers Conference in Las Vegas.)

Cheers,
   Janis

Wasn't that Geoff Larsen of Alaska Brewing?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 03:56:54 pm »

My experience exactly!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 04:51:52 pm »
LOL, Denny!

Cheers,
   Janis

Wasn't that Geoff Larsen of Alaska Brewing?
Hi Jeff,
Yeah, I think he gave the talk, but afterward I had a really good conversation about it with Pete.
Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 04:55:11 pm »

My experience exactly!

Denny,

I can send you my recipe.  I used the beer recipe from Big Brew.  Now that I think about it, the measurement for the spruce tips is opposite what I said before.  It is a volume measurement, not a weight measurement.  I think.  Ugh, too much database work...

Cheers,
   Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Utilization from spruce tips
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 05:47:50 pm »

My experience exactly!

Denny,

I can send you my recipe.  I used the beer recipe from Big Brew.  Now that I think about it, the measurement for the spruce tips is opposite what I said before.  It is a volume measurement, not a weight measurement.  I think.  Ugh, too much database work...

Cheers,
   Janis

Gee, Janis.....um.....uh.....I'm sure it was a great beer, but once in my life is more than enough!  :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 02:14:11 am »
I saw the talk in Vegas too, and I agree with Janis's recollection.  60 minutes, go by volume not weight because the tips can vary in weight depending on the weather around the time they are picked.  He recommended one quart per 5 gallons as a starting point.  Sitka spruce was preferred, although I had one recently with Douglas fir tips that was excellent and similar to the Sitka spruce beers I've had.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 05:20:06 am »
I saw the talk in Vegas too, and I agree with Janis's recollection.  60 minutes, go by volume not weight because the tips can vary in weight depending on the weather around the time they are picked.  He recommended one quart per 5 gallons as a starting point.  Sitka spruce was preferred, although I had one recently with Douglas fir tips that was excellent and similar to the Sitka spruce beers I've had.

A quart per 5 gallons???  Seems like you'd be chewing on a tree with that much.

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 09:37:24 am »
Hi guys,

I used Colorado Blue Spruce tips for mine (I live too far away from Sitka, AK).  I think I didn't use a full quart for my brew, since I didn't know how much I would like it, especially since I was trying it in a lighter beer style than most spruce beers.  I'll check my notes for the amount I used.

Denny,
My first taste of a smoked beer was a homebrew from someone who loves a TON of smoke character, and I really didn't like it.  Luckily I have ventured to try other smoke beers and have been pleasantly surprised by a few.  If I make my Grizzly Koelsch again, I'll save a bottle for you to try.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 09:46:14 am »
Janis, if you make it, I'll try it!  BTW, I pretty much feel the same way about smoked beers that I do about spruce beers!  In spite of my BVIP recipe, I really prefer beer flavored beer.

www.dennybrew.com