Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: MoreBeer forum is apparently dead  (Read 10486 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: MoreBeer forum is apparently dead
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2018, 03:17:20 pm »
I was telling one of my friends that he should try small batch BIAB at home. He was befuddled by the thought of not receiving free beer. People do not want to put in the work and money that it takes. Brewing always generates interest, but when they realize the time it takes, they check out. It has been quite some time since I have brewed. Reworked the brewery, added some improved equipment, just rebuilt the Little Giant, and have a room full of sacks. Spent yesterday taking apart the MM-3, lubed her up and reassembled. I ran 4# through and I’m about ready to brew binge. Then I thought about the time and effort. I thought about how much my Brewing has changed because of this place. This forum isn’t going anywhere IMO. The same people that were answering my questions when I started at the NB forum are here. That was a long time ago. I only frequent here and HBT. It is all good, I’ll be Brewing until I’m in the dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline lalla

• 1st Kit
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2018, 04:13:35 pm »
I just looked to see when I registered on the AHA forum. It was November 04, 2009 at 05:30:48 PM. Wow!

I posted here some, and then my club (the Malt Munching Mash Monsters) got its own forum, and we were busy sorting out member issues. We had a lot of traffic, and everybody learned a lot. A whole lot! You couldn't post a question without getting five or ten replies in the next 30 minutes. I am serious!

Over the years some of the founding members moved away. Newer members weren't as enthusiastic about brewing. And eventually we got a hostile board of directors. And had a coup that splt the club. The remaining members slogged on, but eventually the only people that came to meetings were the officers. The president resigned, and the forum died.

I am the last elected vice prez, and I made the decision (affirmed by the other officers) to take the board and website off-line early last year. We still own the domain name, so if something stirs I'll bring it back. But I'm out of ideas.

I just checked the TBN forum. It's deader than canasta!

Charlie

I wondered what happened to the MMM website as I used to visit it occasionally as I am semi- local in Cenla. It had some good information and as you know Louisiana isn't a hotbed for homebrewing so nice to see some local interest. I occasionally shop at your local LHBS, Brewuniverse there in Shreveport when traveling to visiting family in Stonewall and DFW.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2018, 04:44:33 pm »
Everything in homebrewing is down compared to 4-5 years ago.

Could that be at least partly due to the improving economy?
I'd think that a lot of folks just don't have the same amount of free time that they had when the economy was still dragging.

Yeah, that's the traditional line and I think it's true.  When people are working more and making more money, they have less time and incentive to brew.  Add to that the fact that a lot of new brewers want it quick and easy, and don't feel like they have the time or desire to participate in forums and other stuff.

So to accommodate those of us who are left...does AARP have forums? ;)

Charlie is retiring, so maybe AHARP?
That's had me thinking.  Define "retirement" for Charlie.  He's finally going to have time to brew beer, drink beer, go around talking to people about beer -- no wait, that was what he did for WORK.  Is Charlie going to retire to sit in an office cube on a phone and a computer all day? (Hey maybe he COULD get an AARP brewing group going...)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline idyllbeer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2018, 11:23:00 pm »

Could that be at least partly due to the improving economy?
I'd think that a lot of folks just don't have the same amount of free time that they had when the economy was still dragging.

I think that is true for some people not having time. I am working 12 hours days 6 days a week but always find one day a month to brew on my Robobrew electric system.  Have to make it a priority!  My beer is too good to pass up.  I use MoreBeer all grain recipe orders so just get the box delivered and make beer!  Fresh is the best beer. 

He is a wise man who invented beer.
- Plato

Offline BananaSlug

• 1st Kit
  • Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2018, 06:13:21 am »
 Web based forums have really taken a hit with the advent of Facebook and other social media. Anyone can start a group over there and be their own moderator. I was an administrator on a very large primitive/paleo skills forum, and at one point we had somewhere around 25,000 active members. Posting activity has so high you could damn near watch the pages scroll. About 5-6 years ago, activity started to decline and at this point it can be days between new posts. Most old members of that forum seem to be using Facebook.

Offline Robert

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2018, 06:16:50 am »
Web based forums have really taken a hit with the advent of Facebook and other social media. Anyone can start a group over there and be their own moderator. I was an administrator on a very large primitive/paleo skills forum, and at one point we had somewhere around 25,000 active members. Posting activity has so high you could damn near watch the pages scroll. About 5-6 years ago, activity started to decline and at this point it can be days between new posts. Most old members of that forum seem to be using Facebook.
But you're here (welcome again and thank you!!!) What brought you here?  That could be really useful input (you've obviously got the gist of this conversation and it's a recurring theme lately.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BananaSlug

• 1st Kit
  • Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2018, 11:48:24 am »
But you're here (welcome again and thank you!!!) What brought you here?  That could be really useful input (you've obviously got the gist of this conversation and it's a recurring theme lately.)

I prefer this type format over Facebook for topic focused group discussion. I think there is an advantage to having dedicated moderators who can hold the group as a whole accountable (not that it always works in EVERY forum) and on track. Facebook seems to be more of a free for all, where people are less reluctant to act and post without engaging their noodle :) I use Facebook to be sure, but mostly for communication with people I actually know in the real world.

As for what brought me here specifically? I have lurked a bit and read through a few threads, and it seems to be a knowledgeable crowd with some who are quite experienced as well as helpful. I wish to learn all I can about making a great brew, and this seems like a good start at least :D

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2018, 01:21:32 pm »
Here we are not good at staying on track! But the best discussions tend to be rabbit holes, derails

Offline Robert

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2018, 01:40:18 pm »
Here we are not good at staying on track! But the best discussions tend to be rabbit holes, derails
Yep, that's where we learn what we didn't even know we wanted to!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2018, 02:29:14 pm »
I've seen forums where if you are even slightly off topic, they jump you. Like really? It's labeled US05, but Wy1056 is off topic?

Offline BananaSlug

• 1st Kit
  • Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2018, 06:16:11 pm »
 Rabbit holes are great, as long as people remember to engage their brains :)

Offline Robert

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2018, 06:39:36 pm »

I like rabbit holes, maybe for the same reason I like real bookstores over Amazon.  You walk in maybe thinking you know what you're looking for, wander around trying to find it, and walk out with three books on topics you never would have thought would appeal to you.  Over-focused forums ultimately just serve confirmation bias.  And the people looking for that are probably on Facebook anyway!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BananaSlug

• 1st Kit
  • Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2018, 10:42:37 pm »

Yup, I like rabbit holes too. Ya never know what you might learn. I'm not a fan of factional grenade throwing poo-flinging fests which seem to be almost the norm on Faceplant groups :D

I like rabbit holes, maybe for the same reason I like real bookstores over Amazon.  You walk in maybe thinking you know what you're looking for, wander around trying to find it, and walk out with three books on topics you never would have thought would appeal to you.  Over-focused forums ultimately just serve confirmation bias.  And the people looking for that are probably on Facebook anyway!

Offline lootcorp

• 1st Kit
    • lootcorp - a brewing blog
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2018, 12:32:37 pm »
Man, found this post searching for the old B3 forums and this really makes me sad.

That was the first homebrew forum I was on and the only one I was ever really active on. I learned a heck of a lot from everyone there. Hah, seeing names like TF and USMCruz gave me a good chuckle...I will never forget USM's crazy posts.

Anyway, I've been on a brewing hiatus for quite awhile...had a couple bad batches and just sort of had the enthusiasm go out of me...combine that with increased workload at my job and brewing took a back seat. However, my wife recently gifted me a new SS Brewtech mashtun and brew bucket so now I'm motivated to get going again. Planning for my first batch in a long time this weekend.

Not sure if I know anyone on here from the old B3 days, but hello to all and hoping to stick around and make some beer!

-Jim
Trying to revive the old blog: www.lootcorp.com

Out of the game for too long...fixing that this weekend with 5G of Cal Common