Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: To yeast, or not to yeast...  (Read 10411 times)

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
To yeast, or not to yeast...
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:04:16 pm »
Hey all, quick question here. I'm going to be bottling a very special golden farmhouse in the next couple weeks. (I say special because it's a surprise for my buddy's wedding in July.)

It's going to be corked and caged in champagne bottles so my question is: should I pitch a tiny amount of clean yeast/sugar before bottling? I've done this before with mixed results. How do I get consistently carbonated beer with this method?
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: To yeast, or not to yeast...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:06:29 pm »
3/4 cup of corn sugar in your racking bucket.......
Dave Zach

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 01:09:09 pm »
As far as adding additional yeast it depends on the alcohol content and how long it's been sitting around.  Most likely there's plenty of yeast left to carb it up.  But if you're unsure just go ahead and pitch some into the bottling bucket.  1/2 pack of rehydrated dry yeast will be plenty.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:25:20 pm »
I guess I should mention that I used White Labs American Farmhouse which contains brett. I think I'll rack and let it settle for about a month before bottling with corn sugar and champagne yeast, assuming I've reached a low, consistent gravity. Brett tends to eat anything and everything fermentable so I don't want to go crazy and end up with foam geysers! Thoughts?
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 04:53:32 am »
In that case I wouldn't worry about adding any additional yeast. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:11:41 am »
Noted. After looking into it a little further, it looks like just a little sugar will do the trick. Thanks.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline jds357

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 07:49:33 pm »
As far as adding additional yeast it depends on the alcohol content and how long it's been sitting around.  Most likely there's plenty of yeast left to carb it up.

+1 on that man

Jonathan

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:49:34 am »
Hi jacking a thread here - sorry in advance.  I had the same question.  I had a Pils I was going to bottle today - OG 1.052 (yeah, I know; my efficiency was a little higher than planned).  It's been lagering for 7 1/2 weeks.  I have had some trouble in the past with lagers carbing up.  They have eventually, but they take their sweat time about it.  I've got a 6g satchet of Munton's I was going to throw in the bottling bucket.  Good idea or bad idea?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:53:37 am »
Hi jacking a thread here - sorry in advance.  I had the same question.  I had a Pils I was going to bottle today - OG 1.052 (yeah, I know; my efficiency was a little higher than planned).  It's been lagering for 7 1/2 weeks.  I have had some trouble in the past with lagers carbing up.  They have eventually, but they take their sweat time about it.  I've got a 6g satchet of Munton's I was going to throw in the bottling bucket.  Good idea or bad idea?

Probably unnecessary.  Have you been carbing the bottles at room temp or keeping them cold?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 11:59:56 am »
I never chill until I'm carbed up for that reason.  Come to think of it, my last lager was a Bock that had some fermentation issues.  I only do about one lager a year.  I also didn't want the Munton's to screw up what looks to be a decent Pils.  Thanks, Denny!

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 05:16:10 pm »
Ok, so the golden farmhouse is racked on about 2 lbs of lemongrass at the moment and tasting great! Gravity is down to 1.006 so I'm wondering if I should wait until it completely finishes out to 1.000 or below before dosing with sugar and bottling?

It is WLP 670 which I believe contains brett. So I assume it will continue to chew on any fermentables in the bottle for some time. I also don't want to rush it but I need to get this bottled for a wedding at the end of July. Thoughts?