Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: conditioning time in keg  (Read 37267 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: conditioning time in keg
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 10:47:41 am »
You guys are real fast, I keep the primary for 3 or 4 weeks and then keg condition for 6 to 8 more before I drink them. I can taste the aging.
Then you'd be a great candidate as a lager brewer.
I wish I had more space in my kegerator for kegs to condition/lager.
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 06:42:52 am »
2 weeks in primary for Ales and 3 weeks for Lagers on average.  Could deviate due to bigger beers, lot's of hops, etc....  Keg condition 2+ weeks for ales and 4+ weeks for lagers depending again on the style and whether I have room on tap.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 08:40:12 am »
OK it seems my times are a little faster than most of you, I seem to be able to get my lagers down very close to FG in about 10-12 days, then I warm it up for a few days for a diacetyl/maturation rest, then crash cool and keg usually with 16 days of brewing. This is based off some info from Kai's site.  Specifically, very similar to Schedule F here: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers#Maturation_of_the_beer.

Seems to be working for me, but the question is... you guys who leave lagers in primary for 3-4 weeks, how does this affect the viability of the yeast cake for re-use? I can't imagine your yeast is bubbling away for 4 weeks, and I always thought that (based on Mr Malty's calc) that the viability of yeast drops precipitously within a couple weeks... obviously you can build up a starter again, but I prefer having a yeast cake that I can get out of the primary and re-use within a couple days... would this be possible if the beer was in primary for 4 weeks instead of just 10-14 days like I'm used to?

-red

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 08:57:32 am »
+1

"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 09:10:13 am »
+1
I wish I had more kegs to condition!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 09:55:41 am »
I'd just like to have space for three cold kegs on tap.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 10:58:51 am »
I typically ferment most of my ales for 2 weeks, and lagers go for about 3.  I go straight into the keg after primary ferment. However, I let the beer decide when it's time to move. I'll always take a gravity and  observe the beer clarity prior to transfer. When the gravity is about where I expect it, and the beer is somewhat clear, I'll then transfer off the yeast into the keg for ales, or I'll drop to lagering temps while still on the yeast for lagers for a lagering period. I like to lager on the yeast.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 11:01:49 am »
As to the OP's question: It depends on the beer style as to how I handle keg conditioning. Most ales are ready to drink after 2-4 weeks in the keg, whereas lagers need a 4 week lagering period prior to tapping.  Keep in mind that this is a very general rule.
Ron Price

Offline john f

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 10:56:59 am »
Most ales are ready to drink after 2-4 weeks in the keg, whereas lagers need a 4 week lagering period prior to tapping. 

This is what confuses me about using the fast carb shaking routine.

If ales are in primary for 2 weeks and then sitting at "set and forget" for one week (and if we are talking generally on average) at this point they will be carbed but it could still be a week early on the good side of 2-4 weeks in the keg.

How is carbing anything in 1-2 days any good?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 11:20:45 am »
Most ales are ready to drink after 2-4 weeks in the keg, whereas lagers need a 4 week lagering period prior to tapping. 

This is what confuses me about using the fast carb shaking routine.

If ales are in primary for 2 weeks and then sitting at "set and forget" for one week (and if we are talking generally on average) at this point they will be carbed but it could still be a week early on the good side of 2-4 weeks in the keg.

How is carbing anything in 1-2 days any good?

it's not really as good after a shake carb but you can drink beer the same day it goes in the keg. For what it's worth it's not unussual for me to leave the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks until I have time/keg space to deal with it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 11:26:45 am »
I find that my ales improve for a few weeks to a month cold in the keg, lagers, well over a month.  This is the most aggravating time (between carbonation and clear and ready beer).  Some beers are delicious flat and warm straight out of my hydrometer taking the FG....but always better after a proper (and longer than I want) time conditioning.

g
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 11:27:44 am »
I tend to keg anywhere from 7-14 days and will begin to drink it as soon as it is carbed up properly. I may do this at room temp or chilled.

It all depends what one is brewing, what their needs, wants and likes are. I like the flavor of young fresh ale myself- especially if it is a hoppy one.

You'll have to be the judge of your own beer.

Seems to me though, that beer conditions faster in the bottle than in kegs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 12:15:08 pm »
Seems to me though, that beer conditions faster in the bottle than in kegs.

You nailed it!
That is my largest complaint about kegging.  Naturally carbonating a bottle takes just about as long as most of the conditioning.....conditioning in a keg seems to take much much longer than set and forget method of force carbonating.

And conditioning in a keg takes an Geologic Epoch longer than the shake force carbonation method.  I don't have the patience.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 07:58:27 pm »
My kegs go into a cold room and typically condition for a month or more before they get tapped.

Sometimes not so long, but mostly I have a pretty good supply and more room for conditioning than serving.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 12:49:57 am »
I have (what I call) an India White Ale that's been naturally carb'ing in a keg for about a week at 72F.  I checked the psi level and the carbonation is spot on.  That said, should I leave it at that temperature for another week before crash cooling or is she ready to crash cool?  I see most people suggest taking the extra week, but is that for purposes of conditioning (letting the yeast eat the last of flavor compounds) and/or additional carbonation???