Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Consensus on racking out of primary?  (Read 8372 times)

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
Re: Consensus on racking out of primary?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 03:40:41 pm »
Here's part of what John Palmer said in the Ask the Experts section of the AHa website...(full text at http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/lets-brew/ask-the-experts/john-palmer?cid=wr6B8CL9lj0q%2bJT6ImywRQ%3d%3d&redirect=http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/lets-brew/ask-the-experts/john-palmer if you're a member)

"Therefore I, and Jamil and White Labs and Wyeast Labs, do not recommend racking to a secondary fermenter for ANY ale, except when conducting an actual second fermentation, such as adding fruit or souring. Racking to prevent autolysis is not necessary, and therefore the risk of oxidation is completely avoidable. Even lagers do not require racking to a second fermenter before lagering"

I almost never use a secondary.  I decide on a batch by batch basis if I need it and I alost never do.  I have found no negative impact on beer quality by not using a secondary and it's a heck of a lot easier!  Since you have a conical and can dump yeast and trub, I can't see why you'd even consider it.

What about dry hopping?  Can you do that in primary or is that a qualifier for secondary?

I don't rack to secondary just to dry hop.  If I decide to use a secondary, I dry hop there.  Otherwise, I dry hop in primary after the fermentation ends, or dry hop in the keg.
I dry hop in a secondary if I plan on harvesting the yeast from the primary. This avoids having hop debris to worry about.  Other than that, no secondary for me
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 03:53:23 pm »
My stomach is my secondary. My bladder is my tertiary.
Quote of the week, right there! ;D
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 07:39:05 pm »
+1 to John Palmer's statement.  I follow the same practice.

I just got finished kegging 10gal of a Pliny the Elder clone. It was femented in a 14.6gal conical for two weeks, then dry hopped for two weeks in the same conical after dropping the yeast. Conical fermenters rule!  8)
Ron Price

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 07:55:11 pm »
i started out doing secondary but after a bunch of reading here and other places i stopped.  sometimes i'll add an extra week.  besides finding it wasn't really necessary, it also took another step out of the process that was sometimes a hassle for me and my work schedule.

cheers.

ryan

cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 09:46:18 pm »
What about dry hopping?  Can you do that in primary or is that a qualifier for secondary?

FWIW, I still consider myself somewhat of a novice when it comes to homebrewing, but I've never used a secondary (thanks largely to the great advice everyone has provided here). I'm a huge hophead, and I generally dry hop the hell out of my beers. I've used both pellets and whole cones, no hop bags, and just sprinkle them right into the primary. The results have been great. Unless I start harvesting my yeast, I don't think I'd ever bother with racking to a secondary for dry-hopping.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »

FWIW, I still consider myself somewhat of a novice when it comes to homebrewing, but I've never used a secondary (thanks largely to the great advice everyone has provided here). I'm a huge hophead, and I generally dry hop the hell out of my beers. I've used both pellets and whole cones, no hop bags, and just sprinkle them right into the primary. The results have been great. Unless I start harvesting my yeast, I don't think I'd ever bother with racking to a secondary for dry-hopping.

To quote the late Slim Pickens from the movie Blazing Saddles, "Ditto".

I follow the same protocol. Beer goes straight off the yeast into a keg. If I'm dry hopping, I do it in the primary and/or the keg. Loose in the primary and in nylon bag in the keg, or in an infuser.

Per Denny's advice and Jamil and John's great book on brewing classic styles, I quit racking to secondary years ago. This isn't a set in stone procedure for all beers, but it works for mine.

Additionally when I used to rack to secondary I ruined many beers in the past ( it's been awhile ) by sloppy racking and aeration during racking. I thought the beer tasted bad ( oxidized ) because it sat on the yeast for too long. I then found out it was OK to let it sit for up to a month and realized it must be something else.

I tried skipping it once and the first time I did it my beer was so much better I was amazed. You could say I turned the corner at that point but later learned my racking procedure was the culprit more than letting the beer condition in secondary.

narvin

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 05:18:37 pm »
I dry hop, crash cool, and even fine with gelatin in the primary. As long as you can avoid stirring up the trub, there's no reason not to.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:01 pm »
My stomach is my secondary. My bladder is my tertiary.
Quote of the week, right there! ;D

Another one to put on a T-Shirt...
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971