Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lacto and/or Brett Pitching  (Read 11692 times)

Offline s rails

• Cellarman
  • Clovis, CA
Re: Lacto and/or Brett Pitching
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 12:19:39 am »
Update 4-28-12.

I racked into a new carboyand added a liter of 1.036 wort (starter wort) as some food to help the bugs out.  I then added a vial of WLP677 Lactobacillus Bacteria and a vial of WLP645 Brettanomyces Claussenii.  I set the carboy upstairs in the corner of our master bathroom and wrapped a towel around to keep the light out.  Now I'll just leave it alone until summer is over and check on it then.

I will update the results on this thread so other s can use the info in the future.
Sean Railing
"Drink Beer, Be Happy, Live Longer"

Fermenting: 
Rye Pale Ale
Kegged or Bottled:
Bock, Bitter, ESB, Dubbel,  Baltic Porter, Unblended Lambic, Sanctification Clone, American Barleywine

Member San Joaquin Worthogs (Admin Vice President 2014)

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 04:21:53 am »
I make a couple of BWs every year and this is what works best for me. Mash and boil 5 minutes with NO hops. Pitch Lacto starter in kettle at 95 to 100 degrees for 2 to 3 days depending on how sour I want it. Then boil 20 minutes with hop addition and ferment as usual. This procedure WILL produce very quick souring and NO "wild bugs" in the soft equipment. I have done a lot of research on this and I don't remember who I got this from, but it works.
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline farmbrew

• 1st Kit
  • Falkland, Fife, Scotland
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 10:15:50 am »
  My only concern now is if I shoud rack it off the dead yeast in the primary or not before I pitch the Brett and Lacto. 

I'd run it off the primary and pitch and as you said wait. Lots of dead yeast will only autolyse and give you a flavour profile that you don't want even with a lactic edge to the beer. The bugs will get a good feed on the complex sugars.

F
FV: Das Kohlbeet Hefeweizen
Conditioning: Rye Saison
In the Bottle: Beetnik Porter, Real cider, Cool Runnings Biere d'Garde, Dug 80/-, Aittin Rye&Juniper Ale

Steeping:
Germination: