Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what to put in a multigrain ale  (Read 3191 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
what to put in a multigrain ale
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:51:27 pm »
So for the last 3 years I make this American Wheat based on the BCS recipe, which is roughly 50% pale malt, 30% rye, and 20% wheat, lightly hopped at 60m and flameout with a combo of Willamette, Centennial, Cascade, Hallertauer, or whatever I feel like, to about 20-25 IBUs.  I aim for it to finish around 1.010-1.012, with ABV around 5.5% to 6.0%.  It's a nice spring/summer beer.  Anyways for my buddies I make a sort of novelty/jokey label touting it as healthy multigrain high-fiber beer, blah blah blah.

So I get to thinking as I brewed it a month ago, what can I add to make it really "multigrain".   Obviously I could toss some oat malt or flaked oats in there. But who's put really weird grains in their beers, and what were the results? I'm thinking maybe millet or buckwheat? Flax is a little oily, but?  I could do corn; flaked is boring so what about popcorn? Or spelt or bulgur wheat? I'm open to experimentation if it won't totally ruin a batch. 

Crazy ideas welcome!

-red

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Re: what to put in a multigrain ale
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:53:04 pm »
I vote for spelt malt. Williams Brewing sells it.

I plan to brew a Saison when I get home with 50% pale malt and the other 50% of the grain bill comprised of equal parts of malted oats, spelt, rye and wheat.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline farmbrew

• 1st Kit
  • Falkland, Fife, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:42:32 pm »

You can throw some triticale flakes in (Bob's red mill make 'em) - it's a cross between rye-wheat. I know of one  maltster who malts the grain but you have to be an industrial baker to get it! Apparently the malted stuff  has similar gummy-ness levels as Barley malt and doesn't need a protein rest.

Another thing would be buckwheat - try some health food outlets. A a few French beers use it to add a bit of nuttiness to the beer.

F
FV: Das Kohlbeet Hefeweizen
Conditioning: Rye Saison
In the Bottle: Beetnik Porter, Real cider, Cool Runnings Biere d'Garde, Dug 80/-, Aittin Rye&Juniper Ale

Steeping:
Germination:  

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 02:40:50 pm »
HUB makes a 7 grain Stout.
The seven grains: Barley (Egyptian), Wheat (Mesopotamian), Oats (Egyptian), Amaranth (Aztec), Quinoa (Incan), Spelt (Mesopotamian), and Kamut (Egyptian).
They also add 15 lbs. worth of cold pressed coffee.
It really tasty stuff.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:00:45 am »
I've been reading a blog from a homebrewer who experiments with a lot of odd fermentables, including several different types of grain:

ryanbrews.blogspot.com

He gives good tasting notes on what the grains/adjuncts add to the beer - millet, spelt, rye, amaranth, tapioca starch, etc.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:50:22 pm »
Throw in the kitchen sink too! Just kidding, I vote for sorghum or quinoa. Not actually basing that on experience but it sounds interesting. I'll be racking my IPA today, which has 1 lb of flaked corn. Pretty excited to try it! I also just kicked a batch of rye pale ale which had both rye and wheat. Great combo!
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!