Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottled a beer in a screw top growler, wish me luck....  (Read 18761 times)

Offline jds357

• Cellarman
Re: bottled a beer in a screw top growler, wish me luck....
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 12:57:12 pm »
I've carbonated in a swing top growler and a screw cap.  Both work fine however, I prefer the swing top. Just make sure you don't over prime and you should be fine.  A great alternative to a glass growler is a stainless steel growler.  A company in Oregon makes them.  They are called Braulers and they are awesome.  When people worry about bottle bombs but still want to carb in small containers, I point them in that direction.  Full Sail Brewing co. currently sells them. 

http://www.thezythosproject.com/

Let us know how your beer turned out man!

Jonathan

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 03:33:07 pm »
Just remember that low pressure in a large volume is more powerful than high pressure in a small volume. The growler can probably withstand normal carbonation and since it is only 2 quarts I wouldn't worry.

Now a carboy... that would be shady. :o
I'm not sure what you mean by this euge.  Pressure is not more or less powerful depending on the size of the vessel.  I larger vessel may be structurally weaker, but that's not the same thing.  :-\

I'm no mathmetician here, but  why does a 15.5 gallon keg, thicker walled SS, say it's rated for 60 psi only?  Our homebrew soda kegs, are rated for 130 psi, and they're thinner walled SS than my big kegs.  I must have missed some algebra classes or something...Oh yeah I was homeschooled! 8)
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 12:08:00 am »
Just remember that low pressure in a large volume is more powerful than high pressure in a small volume. The growler can probably withstand normal carbonation and since it is only 2 quarts I wouldn't worry.

Now a carboy... that would be shady. :o
I'm not sure what you mean by this euge.  Pressure is not more or less powerful depending on the size of the vessel.  I larger vessel may be structurally weaker, but that's not the same thing.  :-\

I'm no mathmetician here, but  why does a 15.5 gallon keg, thicker walled SS, say it's rated for 60 psi only?  Our homebrew soda kegs, are rated for 130 psi, and they're thinner walled SS than my big kegs.  I must have missed some algebra classes or something...Oh yeah I was homeschooled! 8)
I don't know, it could be the fittings.  Or it could be they lie about the safe pressure to allow a bigger margin of safety. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 07:02:09 am »
some general concepts about pressure vessels from my former life.
1.  a vessel can withstand increased pressure as its wall thickness goes up. (same diameter cylinder with bigger wall will do better)
2.  a vessel can withstand increased pressure as its radius drops  (smaller diameter cylinder with same wall thickness will do better)
3.  a cylinder is better than a square and a sphere is better than a cylinder.  pressure is distributed against the wall perpendicular to the wall.  this causes increased stress at corners.
4.  pressure test with liquid and not gas.  the stored energy in a liquid will dissipate quickly in a failure while that of a compressed gas does not
Don AHA member