Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Punching down dry hops  (Read 7710 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Punching down dry hops
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 09:58:41 am »
Dry hopping is all about the aroma and my personal preference is whole leaf.  I once split a ten gallon batch and dry hopped one carboy with 2 oz. of whole leaf Amarillo and the other with 2 oz. Amarillo pellets (b/c it was all I could get) and thought the whole leaf had better aroma.  Those leaf hops will soak up the wort given time in the carboy.

as always, though, it's all about the freshness of the particular batch of hops you're using. For me, sometimes the pellets are better, sometimes the whole hops are better.  I just can't generalize that one type is always better than the other.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 10:22:26 am »
Dry hopping is all about the aroma and my personal preference is whole leaf.  I once split a ten gallon batch and dry hopped one carboy with 2 oz. of whole leaf Amarillo and the other with 2 oz. Amarillo pellets (b/c it was all I could get) and thought the whole leaf had better aroma.  Those leaf hops will soak up the wort given time in the carboy.

as always, though, it's all about the freshness of the particular batch of hops you're using. For me, sometimes the pellets are better, sometimes the whole hops are better.  I just can't generalize that one type is always better than the other.

+1.  I prefer leaf in my boil and pellet for dry hopping.  But it is just my preference.  I've done the opposite with great success.  End of the day IMHO, it's comes down to one's personal preference.
Dave Zach

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 11:31:42 am »

These days I dry hop in the keg, which makes things really easy.  Put the hops is a large paint strainer bag, weigh it down with glass marbles or S/S washers, everything sanitized, of course, and tied off with dental floss.  I tie the other end of the floss to the keg post.  That way, I can pull them out once the aroma is "enough".  ;)

Yeah, in contrast to what you are saying I have had whole leaf amarillo that was obviously not fresh and it gave off more herbal and vegetative favors than floral and grapefruit. As Denny stated, it's going to depend on the freshness. You have no way of knowing how old the pellets you used were or their source compared to your flower hop you used in contrast. My source now on pellet hops has been very, very good as far as aroma and flavor is concerned.