Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FermWrap on Fermenator?  (Read 3409 times)

Offline benamcg

• Cellarman
FermWrap on Fermenator?
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:37:56 pm »
I currently use FermWraps and glass carboys for raising fermentation temps in my basement during the winter months.  I must admit that this simple system works great, but I love the idea of someday owning a stainless steel conical.  Would the Fermwrap allow you to raise and maintain ale fermentation temperatures on a Blichmann Fermenator or is the wall of the Fermenator too thick to make much of a difference?

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
Re: FermWrap on Fermenator?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:41:02 pm »
It's not as thick as a carboy, and will actually be easier to heat/cool

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 02:48:35 pm »
I use these fermwarps on 3 bbl plastic conical wrapped with insulation to control fermentation temps in a 38 degree cold room. They work great. For cheap wraps check out www.reptilebasics.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:51:03 pm »
That is is what I use on my Blichmann, to control the temp in a 38-40F garage in the winter. Works fine. You might want to have something around the fermentor to conserve energy. The shipping box was my choice.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline slarkin712

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:51:15 pm »
I would think it would work better on a SS conical than a glass carboy.  SS is a better conductor of heat than glass, and also thinner than a glass carboy.  Another thing to consider is the size of the conical.  A 10+ gallon conical will produce more fermentation heat, due to its overall mass, than a 6.5 gallon carboy.  I would think that a conical would be more difficult to cool and easier to heat than a carboy.