Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DC Water Pump Review  (Read 3717 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
DC Water Pump Review
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:13:51 pm »
I saw these for sale at greatbreweh.com, researched and found they are a small pump designed for use in solar hot water heaters.  Pump body and impeller are Ryton, with brass inlet/outlet.  They are made to run off a solar PV so they work on a range of DC voltages.  I bought a Pumpsflo 15 that is supposed to pump 3gal/min.  I am wanting to use it for whirlpooling with an IC, so I plumbed it up for this and gave it a run tonight.  Heated water in my kettle while running this little pump, went to 97F and measured flow.  It was 2gal/min, enough for a nice whirlpool from what i could tell.  Primed itself nicely although I didn't start it when the water was already hot.

I bought this for $61 from ebay (free shipping), the ones from the site mentioned above are about $84 with shipping ($70 apiece if you buy two) and they come with an AC converter and the brass is mostly coated with Ryton.  If I build a brew stand I'll probably buy a March but these things are a nice alternative.  Its less than half the price and has less than half the flow, seems fair.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: DC Water Pump Review
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:55:56 am »
Yesterday I used the pump to whirlpool a 15gal batch in a keggle.  Worked nicely, seemed to have the right flow for the job.  Got the wort temp down with the homemade IC in about 20min.  Then I used it to transfer wort to carboys, that was an easy job for it but it did more than double the flow rate over just using gravity feed.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:01:47 am »
Looks like a great deal.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:17:58 am »
It works for certain applications anyway.  Not sure it would push wort through a 50' CFC.  Since I decided to go whirlpool/IC instead of CFC, I figured I'd give it a shot.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline eltharyon

• Cellarman
    • Barefoot Lion Brewing
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 08:43:52 pm »
Pre-ordered myself the SS one, won't ship for a week and a half so I'm being patient(lies)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 06:35:46 am »
Looks nice. Putting on my list for next year's tax refund.  ;D
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers