Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thermowell for a Ranco  (Read 3697 times)

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
Thermowell for a Ranco
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:22:38 am »
The 1/4" dia. probe on my Ranco fits loose in my thermowell   .I think it's made from 5/16" tubing.

I am getting low readings of about 10-12 degrees and I'm not sure if it's a bad probe or should I buy a tighter fitting thermowell?  Say .260 ID.?

The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Thermowell for a Ranco
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:29:21 am »
The poly tubing will provide some insulation, along with the air between your probe surface and the interior surface of the tube.

My LHBS has one made of metal - possibly aluminum? I would try a 1/4" ID piece of copper with a capped end.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:29:01 pm »
I have what may be a dumb idea or may be complete genius...

What about adding a little bit of mineral oil inside the thermowell to act as a heat conductor? I've seen entire motherboards submerged in the stuff so I doubt it will harm the probe.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:19:58 am »
I think there is a special lube for the thermowell probes But I 'm beginning to think that this home made thermowell is too loose and made of too thick of a tubing.

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:05:59 am »
I would try a 1/4" ID piece of copper with a capped end.

I'm pretty sure copper in finished beer would be a bad idea.  You really wouldn't want a metallic taste to carry over.

Offline tjroan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 10:17:37 am »
What are you using for a thermowell (material)?  If poly, not a great conductor and could be an issue especially if not a tight fit.  I agree on no copper.  I use the ss ones from Brewers Hardware.  The probes do not fit snug but the thermowell is a good distance in the liquid and ss is an adequate conductor so the temp inside it is pretty much on.  I have the surrounding temp up to 10 deg colder than fermentation temp and no issues.  If questioning the probe, test it by having it next to a proven temp device at various temps (fridge, freezer, ale box, room, other).  Not a perfect calibration but it will tell you if you have a serious probe issue.

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 01:22:19 am »
The home made thermowell is 2 1/2" long and it is made from welded stainless. It screws into the side of my keggle. The tubing is a little over sized so the probe fits loose.  I didn't think that made a difference at the time but now I have to wonder why it's not keeping correct temperature readings?

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:55 am »
With enough time, it should read correctly either way.  Have you checked the probe with another thermometer?

Has the probe gotten wet in the past?
Brew on

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 03:33:08 pm »
With enough time, it should read correctly either way.  Have you checked the probe with another thermometer? Has the probe gotten wet in the past?

Yes, it reads low in the thermowell only. It hasn't been wet but pinched a few times.