Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Time Pitching on Yeast Cake  (Read 11544 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: First Time Pitching on Yeast Cake
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 07:12:35 am »
I regularly pitch the full cake from a 1.050-or-smaller 5 gal batch into a 1.070-or-bigger 10 gal batch. It's just a lot easier than building a starter that size.

I do that as well as starting with a full 10 gallon cake and repitching for another 10.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 07:37:48 am »
IMO it is better to take out a portion of the slurry - heck, it only takes a minute to dump in clean, sani mason jar, and measure out the appropriate amount. Also, the bruno hefe - the old yeast and protein hop resin on the sides if the fermenter - you dnt really want that to dissolve back into your beer. I think you make better beer by measuring out the slurry and pitching into a clean fermenter.

Hey BTW is it called barunhefe? IDK I always forget how to spell it.  I heard the Masterbrewer from Aanheuser-busch give a talk about exactly what you said majorvices.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 08:57:23 am »
IPad and stoopid auto fill.  ::) guess it doesn't take German. "Bruno hefe", lol.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 06:22:19 pm »
IMO it is better to take out a portion of the slurry - heck, it only takes a minute to dump in clean, sani mason jar, and measure out the appropriate amount. Also, the bruno hefe - the old yeast and protein hop resin on the sides if the fermenter - you dnt really want that to dissolve back into your beer. I think you make better beer by measuring out the slurry and pitching into a clean fermenter.

Hey BTW is it called barunhefe? IDK I always forget how to spell it.  I heard the Masterbrewer from Aanheuser-busch give a talk about exactly what you said majorvices.

Almost,  it's "braun hefe"
Joe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 07:26:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's "Bruno here"...   :P

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 08:31:38 pm »
Bruno here on this forum, :P braun hefe everywhere else. Got it thanks for clearing that up.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 09:22:47 am »
I just pulled a hydrometer sample as it seemed to burn out in about a week.  It's definitely the cleanest tasting lager I have made at just under 3 weeks old!  I could tap it and drink it now.  Might have to try this again!

Dave
Dave Zach