Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash temperatures  (Read 9731 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Mash temperatures
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 05:17:38 am »
My viewpoint is that it depends on the base malt you use, to a point. British malts work well for a single infusion at the 148-152F range. The modern connitnental malts work in that range or do well in a step mash. The North American malts with very high diastatic power work well at the higher temps.

Sierra Nevada uses NA malts and mashes around 158F IIRC. What do you remember Denny?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Mash temperatures
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 09:04:33 am »
Anyway, at a recent non-bjcp competition that was judged by the brewer and owner of a local microbrewery, it was suggested that I mash at 160, or even a bit higher.  Traditionally, I start freaking out if I get to 155 or so.  The two beers I entered were a Session IPA and an Imperial Stout.

I mash my Mild at 160.  It took third at the NHC a couple of years ago.

The same brewer made the statement "crystal malts are the enemy of good beer" 

I tend to be skeptical of such absolute statements.  I do think crystal malts are the enemy of a good west coast IPA, though.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 10:38:29 am »
My viewpoint is that it depends on the base malt you use, to a point. British malts work well for a single infusion at the 148-152F range. The modern connitnental malts work in that range or do well in a step mash. The North American malts with very high diastatic power work well at the higher temps.

Sierra Nevada uses NA malts and mashes around 158F IIRC. What do you remember Denny?

That seems right to me, Jeff.  What I don't recall is the mash in procedure.  Do they raise the temp to that, in effect doing a step mash?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 12:34:43 pm »

That seems right to me, Jeff.  What I don't recall is the mash in procedure.  Do they raise the temp to that, in effect doing a step mash?

I can't remember that detail either.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 05:29:22 pm »
Single infusions, I believe.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 10:06:15 am »

I think that's usually true, although we did a step mash on our Beer Camp beer.  But what I don't recall about the single infusions is the mash in procedure.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 11:30:08 am »
I'll mash at 162* if I want a full-bodied beer, and I hate crystal malt too. But I'm a weirdo, so take that with a sack of salt.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 06:19:25 am »
I think that's usually true, although we did a step mash on our Beer Camp beer.  But what I don't recall about the single infusions is the mash in procedure.
As the grain is milled, they mix it with strike water and pump it into the tun a couple degrees below mash temperature.  They use steam jacketed tuns to immediately raise the temperature to the desired mash temperature.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 10:06:46 am »
Thanks.  I kinda recall that now.

www.dennybrew.com