Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water adjustment to step infusion mash  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Water adjustment to step infusion mash
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:51:34 am »
I have used Bru'n water to determine the water adjustments necessary for a recipe. This recipe will require a step infusion mash. 1st water addition will be 5 gals., 2nd will be 3 gals.

Would I add 5/8ths of the salts to the 1st infusion and remainder to the second, or do I just add what is required to the mash at the beginning.  I'm assuming that it may throw the mash out of balance by adding all at once. Right or wrong?
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Water adjustment to step infusion mash
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:18 am »
This is an interesting question.

I know determining the ph and amount of salts to add not only has to do with the amount of water but the total amount of grist as well. Im interested to what Martin has to say about this. If it were me I would personally add the salts in 2 increments. But lets hear what the more educated folks have to say.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:19:04 pm »
I dunno if I'm "more educated", but when I do something like that I look at what the water profile, especially pH, will be like either way.  Obviously, for flavor the most important consideration is to get all the salts in there one way or the other.  But I look at what using only part of them in the initial mash will do to the pH and what the pH might go to if I add the infusion water without treatment. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:47:45 pm »
I suggest that you look at the mash in two steps within Bru'n Water also.  With your grain bill and 5 gallons of water, see what the appropriate mineral additions should be.  Then look at the same grain bill with 8 gallons and see what the appropriate mineral additions should be.  Add the difference in the mineral amounts to that second step infusion.

One thing to note with respect to the mash is that the only minerals that really matter in the mash are hardness contributors, alkalinity contributors, and acids.  Those are the minerals that a brewer would want to concentrate on adjusting for their mash and any steps.

The relative or total amount of sodium, chloride, or sulfate doesn't really matter in the mash.  Those ions can be added in the mash or kettle with relatively equal effect.   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:49:31 pm by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:54:32 pm »
Excellent info, Martin!  That's kinda how I do it, but your advice to look at the difference between the 2 water amounts is great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 02:17:04 pm »
I suggest that you look at the mash in two steps within Bru'n Water also.  With your grain bill and 5 gallons of water, see what the appropriate mineral additions should be.  Then look at the same grain bill with 8 gallons and see what the appropriate mineral additions should be.  Add the difference in the mineral amounts to that second step infusion.

One thing to note with respect to the mash is that the only minerals that really matter in the mash are hardness contributors, alkalinity contributors, and acids.  Those are the minerals that a brewer would want to concentrate on adjusting for their mash and any steps.

The relative or total amount of sodium, chloride, or sulfate doesn't really matter in the mash.  Those ions can be added in the mash or kettle with relatively equal effect.   

Perfect. That's what I needed to know. Thank you Martin.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"