Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alabama passes gourmet bottle bill  (Read 5466 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Alabama passes gourmet bottle bill
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 03:16:21 pm »
I have never understood why our elected officials have to be involved in bottle sizes. I can remember when 8oz. stubbies had to be approved by state government. How ridiculous is that?
I'll take a stab at why it might not be so ridiculous.  40s of malt liquor.

Okay, 1 large bottle, 8 stubbies, 4 regular size bottles, 3 pints. What difference does it make? It's still 40+ ounces of beer to be consumed.

Yes.  The container should make no difference, particularly when, as Major pointed out, you can buy larger containers of stronger stuff.

I never even would have thought that someone couldn't get a 750ml of Belgian beer...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 03:32:32 pm »
I have never understood why our elected officials have to be involved in bottle sizes. I can remember when 8oz. stubbies had to be approved by state government. How ridiculous is that?
I'll take a stab at why it might not be so ridiculous.  40s of malt liquor.

Okay, 1 large bottle, 8 stubbies, 4 regular size bottles, 3 pints. What difference does it make? It's still 40+ ounces of beer to be consumed.

Yes.  The container should make no difference, particularly when, as Major pointed out, you can buy larger containers of stronger stuff.

I never even would have thought that someone couldn't get a 750ml of Belgian beer...

We had a similarly stupid law in Florida up until 2001.  Beer could only be sold in 8, 12, 16, or 32 ounce containers (after that it was OK).  So we had almost no European beers and no 22 ounce bombers.
As I understand it the law was originally enacted in the late 50's to punish Miller for not putting their new brewery in Jacksonville, building it in Georgia instead.  They had 7 (or was it 7.5?) ounce bottles.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 04:06:42 pm »

We had a similarly stupid law in Florida up until 2001.  Beer could only be sold in 8, 12, 16, or 32 ounce containers (after that it was OK).  So we had almost no European beers and no 22 ounce bombers.
As I understand it the law was originally enacted in the late 50's to punish Miller for not putting their new brewery in Jacksonville, building it in Georgia instead.  They had 7 (or was it 7.5?) ounce bottles.

i remember drinking st. pauli girl bottles when i lived their in the early 80's.  of coarse usually just got a quart of schlitz bull back then...
Don AHA member

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 06:55:08 am »

Nice that they fixed that...but didn't that create your ridiculous no-64oz-growlers law at the same time?
last I checked anything between 32 and 128 ounces was still illegal?

cheers--
--Michael

Offline mcdanis

• Cellarman
  • Chattanooga, TN
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 07:21:31 am »
Unfortunately, they let the homebrew bill die last night.  Another year before they can try again to legalize homebrew in AL.
Snotter

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 07:33:27 am »

Nice that they fixed that...but didn't that create your ridiculous no-64oz-growlers law at the same time?
last I checked anything between 32 and 128 ounces was still illegal?

cheers--
--Michael

No, that is a left-over from the original stupid law.  At least we can get growler fills now, just not in the normal sizes that everybody else in the country has.  Pints are fine for me anyway.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 09:25:16 am »
Unfortunately, they let the homebrew bill die last night.  Another year before they can try again to legalize homebrew in AL.

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!  Sorry, guys.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 09:39:45 am »
we don't mind being outlaws.  ;) It's the principle of the thing though.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 09:49:17 am »

Yes, it is too bad, it's an unfortunate consequence of democracy. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 09:57:41 am »

Yes, it is too bad, it's an unfortunate consequence of democracy. ;)

Sigh. I might have to expatriate.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 11:22:20 am »

Damn, that sucks.

On the bright side, next year won't be an election year, so I would guess it should be a little bit easier. Keep up the pressure, and we will be rooting for you again next year.